Physiotherapy research project involving parents of children with Cerebral Palsy. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Physiotherapy research project involving parents of children with Cerebral Palsy.

MeganTaylor
MeganTaylor Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Dear Reader 
My name is Megan Taylor and I am a third-year undergraduate physiotherapy student at York St John University. My research project is being supervised by Dr. Charikleia Sinani, a senior physiotherapy lecturer at the university.

I am interested in investigating the experiences of parents with physiotherapy in meeting the needs of children with Cerebral Palsy, allowing areas of the service that require improvement to be identified. The study involves completing an anonymous online questionnaire that should take no longer than 15-20 minutes to fill in. I am looking for feedback on the questionnaire and for recommended changes before the final questionnaire is released. I would appreciate any feedback to be written in the additional comments section of the questionnaire. If you are interested in providing feedback on my questionnaire please follow the link below. 

Thank you for your time.

Megan 

https://yorksj.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9BRlkzT6zEWjDql

Comments

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    My son is now too old (20) but just a thought: most research of this sort seems to focus on children; but the much more alarming issue that really needs highlighting is the fact that once a child with CP (who almost certainly received at least some level of physio from a young age) passes the magic age of 18 (or even 16 in some health authorities) all routine physio STOPS!!  There is no automatic transition to adult physio (or any other therapy) and someone will only be seen for time defined "acute" episodes.  But CP doesn't go away at 18! and in fact a) young people are still growing til at least 21 so many more physical issues can start to arise (my son is developing a slight scoliosis...but that is since he was about 18) b) As people with CP age they report lots of changes over time due to wear and tear etc...but of course the received wisdom is that CP is non-progressive!!  Adult CP hub has been established to try and highlight some of the health issues faced by adults with CP
  • SteveE
    SteveE Community member Posts: 88 Pioneering
    Absolutely agree @forgoodnesssake - perhaps the researcher might question why ALL physiotherapy is stopped for someone with CP who is now in his late forties.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.