esa how long for work capability assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

esa how long for work capability assessment?

bongo Member Posts: 8 Listener
ive been off work nine moths now, due to a head injury,my SSP stopped back in November 2018 but im still waiting for a work capability  assessment can anyone please tell me how long this takes etc,i haven't received a medical form as of yet also what to expect from form the assessment 
thanks in advance 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,414 Disability Gamechanger

    It can take quite a few months to receive the work capability assessment form. Once you do receive it you'll need to fill it in with as much information about how your conditions affect you as possible. The form will need to be returned no later than that date stated in the letter because there's no extension of time give for these forms.

    Send any relevant evidence you have to support your claim with the form because they rarely contact anyone for this.

    Expect a face to face work capability assessment as most people have them. During this assessment they'll assess your ability to do any type of job. Once the assessment is complete a report will returned to DWP with recommendations in it.

    A decision maker then looks at the report and makes a decision based on those recommendations.

    All of this can take several months and more. If you're placed into the Support Group then your money will continue for as long as you remain in the group and you'll receive an extra £37.65 per week backdated to the 14th week of your claim.

    If you're placed into the WRAG then your money will remain the same on you'll only be paid for 52 weeks then it will stop and you'll receive just your NI credits towards your state pension. Hope this helps.
  • bongo
    bongo Member Posts: 8 Listener
    hi poppy123456
    yes your comment was very helpful,
    thank you for the detailed response
    kind regards.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.