What job can i do? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What job can i do?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 6 Listener
edited February 2019 in Work and employment
Ok where do I start... I have bowel incontinence due to surgery for a fistulotomy both internal and external sphincters were cut thus leaving me with no control over my bowels and nerve damage. I have been turned down for help, I can’t work, can’t leave the house (if I need to I starve myself for a couple of days before to reduce the risk of soiling myself), have no income so cannot afford to buy incontinence products so washing machine and tumble dryer are constantly on the go as I have ibs too. My husband is great and provides for me but I am a burden financially as we cannot even get a council tax rebate. I am desperate to earn some money and take the strain off my husband but what job could I possibly do? Is anyone in the same position as me and holds down a job? Thank you for reading 

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited February 2019
    Hi @marmitesmum welcome to the community.

Thank you for sharing this with us, I am sorry to hear what you're going through. You may be interested in joining our dealing with chronic pain discussions.

Have you been in touch with your local council or CAB about the council tax rebate? 

Hopefully some of our members will be able to answer your questions, regarding employment.

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @marmitesmum
    Our @Pippa_Scope created a great blog about accessible work with a chronic illness that you might like to take a look at?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you @Sam_Scope :) 

Really hope you find something that works for you @marmitesmum, please do keep us updated!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi thank you for replying. I am still no wiser but I have now been prescribed peristeen to try and help me gain some control over my bowels but in a catch 22 as there are regular prescription charges for parts and I have no income so can’t see that helping for long. I have looked at trying to work from home as I cannot leave the house and I cannot seem to find anything that will help raise money. As this has been ongoing for 4 years now I have tried crafting ie making cards, vinyl wall art etc but there is no market for prices I need to charge to cover just the cost let alone make a living. So if anyone has any bright ideas to help me gain suitable employment that will allow me to swan off and clean myself up at any given time please please let me know ? and I will be eternally grateful. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    With regard to prescripton charges, you should apply for an HC2 cert which will entitle you to fre prescription via the low income scheme. First you will need and HC1 to apply
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pia_Scope
    Pia_Scope Scope Posts: 41 Pioneering
    Hi@marmitesmum

Welcome to the community!

I am glad to see that you have received some advise already.

What comes into mind when reading your post is self employment, or any job that you can do working from home.
    Would this be an option for you?

If you like support in finding paid employment ( not self employment) you are welcome to see if the Support to work service would be of interest.
    You can read about the service here
    https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/support-to-work

I wish you all the best and hope that you will find employment.

Kind regards
    Pia

Pia
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

• oliva087
    oliva087 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    You can try online-based jobs. The writing job and the video creating jobs are most popular now in the market. Fiverr is a great place for beginners. You will get writing jobs on iWriter.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Great tips @oliva087, thanks for sharing and welcome to the community!
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.