Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Hi, my name is ShakeyRed!
Hi everyone and thank you for what, I have no doubt, will be some sound advice and shared life experiences.
Some 16 years ago I was diagnosed as having obstructive sleep apnoea after my wife had begged me to go to the doctors. After testing I was told that my case I had severe OSA as I suffered with an average of 60 apnoeas an hour. OSA is usually found in men over 40 who have excess weight.
At that time of my diagnosis I was average weight, very active and 28 years old. I played football on a weekend, went golfing twice a week and played badminton with my wife and another couple.
Since OSA I have also developed a heart condition, diagnosed with depression & anxiety and last year, due to an increasingly poor diet over the last ten years, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
On the bright side since the diabetes diagnosis I have changed my lifestyle and have lost 6 stone in weight since april 2018.
- 53K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 759 Work and employment
- 577 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 928 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.