I don't understand how to claim ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I don't understand how to claim ESA

RPK43 Member Posts: 6 Listener
I'm not well enough to work and I've looked at the different types of ESA on the governments website: https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance

New style ESA requires that I've been an employee or self-employed and paid National Insurance contributions, usually in the last 2 to 3 years.

Contribution based ESA requires that I get the severe disability premium.

And Income-based ESA requires that I get the severe disability premium.

I haven't been an employee or self employed in the last 2 to 3 years, and I don't get the severe disability premium.

This hasn't stopped me from being able to claim ESA in the past though. So is there something I'm not understanding? Or have things changed now?

I did look at the requirements a few weeks ago and I'm sure they were different, as after reading them I thought I did fit the requirements for New Style ESA, and so I applied for it over the phone.

I did get the first form through the post and I filled it in and handed it into the job centre.

So now I don't know if I applied for the wrong ESA or not.

If I can't claim any type of ESA but I'm too ill to work, what am I supposed to do?


  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    They want you to claim us but I’d you do you can’t go back on esa so appeal 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,129 Disability Gamechanger

    The old style ESA no longer exists because all areas are now a full universal credit area.

    New style ESA is contributions based on you need to have working in the previous 2 tax years to claim this, as you haven't worked then you won't be entitled to claim this. It has nothing to do with severe disability premium

    What you need to claim is universal credit because this has replaced all the old benefits like ESA/JSA/Income Support/tax credits and housing benefit.

    It's a means tested benefit so savings/capitol and living with a partner that works may affect what you can claim. You can claim this online and if you're not fit for work you'll need a sick note from your GP. It's paid monthly, how much you maybe able to claim will depend on your circumstances. It takes at least 5 weeks for your first payment.

  • RPK43
    RPK43 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    edited February 2019
    So that means I've been waiting all these weeks for the second form, for nothing.

    What is wrong with me? Why am I getting everything wrong?

    I'm meant to be 43 but I feel like a kid trying to cope in an adult world.

    Now I feel like I can't face trying to apply for UC because I'm now depressed and I'm worried about getting things wrong again.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,129 Disability Gamechanger
    It can be very confusing if you don't know what you're doing. May i ask what you've been claiming if you haven't worked? Do you live with a partner that works? It's very difficult to give any advice with such little information.
  • RPK43
    RPK43 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    edited February 2019
    I was claiming income support and carers allowance because I was looking after my mum. She died a few months ago and my benefits stopped around a month ago, so I've been relying on savings in the bank. I'm single and not living with anyone.
  • RPK43
    RPK43 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    I don't have the second form yet for the original claim, when I get it I wont bother filling it in and sending it off, so shall I not bother with ringing the DWP and cancelling the claim before applying for UC?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.