Will my ESA benefit get reduced if my friend claims carers allowance for me? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will my ESA benefit get reduced if my friend claims carers allowance for me?

beesnees
beesnees Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, I claim ESA   I am in the contributory support group. My benefits  are £221.50 every 2 weeks plus  £229.20 a month  PIP. 
Will it affect my benefits if  my friend claims carers allowance  for me. She does all my bathing etc for me.  Because I live in my marital home with my son all the bills are paid by my ex husband. He works away all the time so only comes home for 2 weeks at a time. The only things I and my son pay are gas electric and food. So therefore am not entitled to housing benefit etc.  The problem being I am more or less house bound unless my friend takes me out in her car so my electricity and gas are quite expensive. I would like to know if I would get my ESA benefit reduced if my friend claims care allowance for  me.  Thank you any advise is welcome

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @beesnees   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who help and advise new members who join.

In response to your benefit enquiry I do not know what the answer is.

I know there will be members of our community or a member of our team who will answer you.

Have you contacted CAB for advice and information . Might be worth a call.  Have expertise and knowledge on benefits.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • beesnees
    Thank you for the welcome spiceman.  I will call CAB and ask the question thank you .
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,
    For your friend to be able to claim carers allowance for looking after you then you must be claiming daily living PIP.

Your friend must be looking after you for at least 35 hours per week, work no more and 16 hours and earn no more than £120 after deductions per week.

If your friend doesn't work, if they claim any benefits theirself, then it could reduce the amount of benefits they claim.

It won't reduce any of your benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • beesnees
    HI,
    For your friend to be able to claim carers allowance for looking after you then you must be claiming daily living PIP.

Your friend must be looking after you for at least 35 hours per week, work no more and 16 hours and earn no more than £120 after deductions per week.

If your friend doesn't work, if they claim any benefits theirself, then it could reduce the amount of benefits they claim.

It won't reduce any of your benefits.
    Thank you so much Poppy123456  I will let my friend know because she doent work and does quiet alot for me with appointments and bathing etc. As you can see in my question money is tight so I cannot afford to pay myself for the care I need. THANK YOU

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.