How can I get another assessment? My ESA group is ending — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

How can I get another assessment? My ESA group is ending

Butterflly58 Member Posts: 4 Listener
My ESA, work related group, is stopping on the 25th February due to reaching the time limit. I can't seem to get an answer about how I can ask for another assesment as my condition has worsened. I am now 60 and due to my illness am unable to work. I was retired on ill health grounds from my job. Can anyone help?


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Butterflly58 Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    I am one of the team of community champions who help and advise new members who join.

    I am unsure of an answer to your question. There will be members of our community or a member of our team be able to answer.

    They might be in touch.

    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,115

    Scope community team

    We have lots of members that have probably experienced something similar. I am going to move your question to the ESA discussion thread. So people can respond.

    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,573 Disability Gamechanger

    The reason it's ending is because you're claiming contributions based ESA and not income related. Contributions based is only paid for 365 days unless placed into the support group.

    Whether you're entitled to the income related will depend on your circumstances. Do you live with a partner that works or have any other household income like pensions? Also claiming income related will depend on whether you're claiming the old style ESA or New style ESA. If it's new style ESA then you won't be able to transfer to income related ESA, regardless of your circumstances.

    It's all extremely complicated so the best advice i can give will be to contact a local advice centre near you for face to face advice.
  • Butterflly58
    Butterflly58 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you gor your reply. I am on contribution ESA at present and understand I won't get anything on income related. My condition has deteriorated and I wanted to find out if I can ask for another medical assessment. 
  • Butterflly58
    Butterflly58 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I am single. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,573 Disability Gamechanger
    If you're single what's the reason you won't receive any income related? Do you have savings/capital or any other income that would stop you claiming this?
  • worried33
    worried33 Member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    You should be able to ask to be reassessed on the grounds your condition has changed but remember it is not certain you get the support group.

    I would check for income related eligibility first, just because you dont get it now it doesnt mean you not eligible, the DWP will usually place people on contribution based benefits if they eligible for both contribution based and income related.

    If you not sure, or realise you are eligible then you need an ESA3 form so they can process your claim for income related ESA.
  • Butterflly58
    Butterflly58 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I recieve PIP living allowence and have a retired pension on health grounds. This takes my weekly income to £83 which is above  the income related amount. I am now 60yrs old, worked all my life and have a chronic back condition which is deteriorating. I take strong medication but still in constant pain, find standing, walking etc very difficult and completely fed up with having to fight for any help. Sorry for the rant. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.