Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

applying for UC for other people?

SS1997SS1997 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2019 in Universal Credit

Hello, unfortunately in my workplace, some of my colleagues have lost their job since the company is falling behind with the project we are working on, so to save money, some people had to leave. These people are very hard working people (I work in construction) but they are completely new to the British system since they only moved to the UK about a year ago. They are jobless now so I helped one of them to receive Universal Credit and he is actively looking for a job. Now 3 more guys are asking me to apply for them because they can’t do it themselves and then they offered me money if I apply for them since they might end up homeless. Would it be illegal for me to charge them money in exchange of applying for their UC? Of course, I would fill the self assessment form and pay, if any, due taxes and surely I’ll make sure they are completely aware of everything regarding their application.


  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    There are agencies that do charge for this type of service but in my opinion helping a person who has no other option should be done as an act of kindness. It would not sit right with me to accept money after all it is just a few hours if you understand the system
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SS1997
    As @CockneyRebel says there are services that charge for this. But there are also free services through the CAB and charities who would help these people for free.

    I dont know whether it would be illegal, but perhaps you might be better to signpost them to an charity or service who can support them for free?
    Senior online community officer
Sign in or join us to comment.