Housing Benefit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing Benefit

fuzzy
fuzzy Community member Posts: 29 Connected
Hi 
Im trying to find out about housing benefit ive been to the local council to apply they told me that because the area i live in is a universal credit area i have to apply for that i was told by someone that i would be worse off i claim esa and pip im really struggling to pay my rent any advice would be welcome

Comments

• Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    If you get esa pip you get rent paid my esa stopped but I’m going appeal tribunal as got no money council paying my rent till all sorted 
  • fuzzy
    Hi Dotty 
    Sorry to hear about your problem the council wont pay mine if i apply for uc ill be worse off 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As you're claiming ESA and PIP, do you claim the severe disability premium on top of your ESA? Do you live alone or classed as living alone? Does anyone claim carers allowance for looking after you?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • fuzzy
    Hi poppy
    No i dont claim sdp im classed as living alone and my sister claims carers allowance
  • poppy123456
    Then i'm afraid you won't be able to claim housing benefit, it will have to be UC if you want to claim the housing element. Then your ESA will transfer to UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • fuzzy
    Thank you poppy dose that mean i would keep the esa and only claim housing element of uc or do i just claim full uc
  • poppy123456
    No problem. When you claim UC your ESA will stop and that will transfer across. Your current ESA award will be honoured and you'll be given the relevant award for that for UC, this means that if you're in the support group you'll be given LCWRA but it could take a few weeks for your details to transfer across.

When claiming UC there's approximately 5 week wait for your first payment.
  • fuzzy
    Thank you so much for your help

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.