Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


northendchampsnorthendchamps Member Posts: 1 Listener

I retire in November 2020.and I am trying to work out my finances from that date. 

As background information I have no private pension and I qualify for the full state pension. 

At present I am in.receipt of Contibition based esa and I am in. the group for those who are deemed unfit to carry out any work. In addition to ESA I also receive DLA Mobility element at the higher rate and the Care element at the middle. rate. Do I lose all these benefits when I retire. Also as is apparent from the information I have not yet been reassessed under PIP nor have I been.movex onto Universal credit. When can I expect. to be moved  onto PIP and universal credit. If when I reach retirement age I.have still not been assessed for PIP or UC what happems
Thank you 

Peter Vickers 


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    When you reach state pension age your ESA will stop and you'll receive your state pension because ESA is a working age benefit. UC doesn't apply either because it's a working age benefit.

    As you were under 65 on 8th April 2013 then you will eventually be invited to apply for PIP. There's still a lot of people waiting to be invited to apply. Once you are assessed for PIP, if you're successfully awarded then it will continue for as long as your qualify.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @northendchamps, and a warm welcome to the community!

    I hope the above guidance from Poppy is helpful. If we can be of any further assistance, do let us know.
Sign in or join us to comment.