Additional support needed for my son — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Additional support needed for my son

sylvfal
sylvfal Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello I have a son Michael who is 34 yrs old, I just would like some backup with him. I  have no one to really to help me with him.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @sylvfal   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join.

How can we help and advise in your personal circumstances?. What support do you need.?

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sylvfal

Welcome it’s great to meet you today ??

I am one of a number of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Please please let me know what kind of help & support that I can help you with❓❓❓

@steve51
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited February 2019
    Hi @sylvfal welcome to the community, could you explain this further please?

Thank you
  • sylvfal
    sylvfal Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    It is a long story he has had a very hard time, from when he was a toddler were I didn't get much help with him. I had to fight for all I got, I had no health team for him, I was lucky to get a physio for him for a couple of yrs were she taught me the exercises to do at home.
    He got hydrotherapy after for a while. I bought him to London to scope(it wasn't called scope then ) for some tests to see how bad/mental/physical he was and the outcome was positive. So when he started school, I had been told he was bright. So he was given help, but found out the help I fought for was bring used for the class. My son was struggling on his own, and getting into trouble. This went on throughout his whole school life. So after this he gave up on life really. He did try college where he met the wrong people. He does have a problem understanding of the English language, especially when in a group situation. Which sometimes causes him to get irritated. When he was younger it was ok, now he is a mature man I have difficulty handling his anger. 
    As he has moved back home from a flat about 7yrs ago. That's another story, the council won't house him. As he has no social worker. As he has no social worker and has never had one. As I said he doesn't get on with his dad, I have had a bleed to the brain, palaysed down on the right side. Sorry to go on
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @sylvfal

Thank you for getting back to me and sharing this with us. I appreciate your continued support for your son, despite you health condition. How are you doing today?

Have you been in touch with your local CAB ?

Hopefully some of our members will be able to advice you on this soon. 

Hi @Jean_OT and @KellyParentAdvisor , is there anything you can suggest please? Thank you.
  • Beverley_Scope
    Beverley_Scope Scope Posts: 84 Pioneering
    Hi @sylvfal

It sounds like you are having a very difficult time at the moment.  I know you said that your son has no social worker and has never had one, but have you thought of going in that direction now that you are struggling so much?

You could ask for a social services assessment of your son's care needs.  the following link will take you to the NHS website which could help you.  

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

I hope this helps a little.  

Beverley
    Beverley Davies
    Parent Advisor
    Navigate
  • Beverley_Scope
    Beverley_Scope Scope Posts: 84 Pioneering
    Hi @sylvfal,

Of course if you feel that you need support for yourself you could access the above website for that also.

Good luck,

Beverley
    Beverley Davies
    Parent Advisor
    Navigate
  • Antonia_Alumni

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.