Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Advised not to claim universal credit?
Hi this is probably a bit long winded but here goes I have been in ESA for about 6-7 years now pip also but I had my medical for ESA the other week and received 0 points every other year I have not had a problem and always recieved the points necessary for my clain to continue , I have ankylosing spondylitis I'm 42 and have had it for 8 years I have the hlab27 gene that causes it which is my white blood cells are overiding my red ones and this causes the severe inflamatinfl in my bones both my hips are buggered I get constant sciatica and my feet and hand I don't feel them very well and my groin feels like it's being crushed in a vice I can barely walk I use crutches every day even about my flat my chest bones are also starting to fuse and I have constant stabbing pains in my lungs I don't know what to do I was on sdp but work related activity as the ESA didn't know I was on pip if they had know if have been in wrag group but now I don't know what to claim I've sent for mandatory reconsideration but how do I survive I was advised by the ESA man to not claim UC as it could affect my claim also he said there was something about being on sdp but couldn't find the literature about it not sure what he meant about that but I'm literally on my a##e without a penny can you help ???
- 49.3K All Categories
- 9.8K Start here and say hello!
- 4K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 135 Community updates
- 11.5K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 658 Work and employment
- 526 Education
- 968 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 925 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 245 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 249 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.5K Talk about money
- 1.8K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.4K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.6K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 586 Chronic pain and pain management
- 648 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 702 Autism and neurodiversity
- 842 Mental health and wellbeing
- 287 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.