Should I apply? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Should I apply?

Gem2Boyz Member Posts: 16 Connected
I work 35 hours a week and I am currently receiving PIP and a disability element of tax credits. I have done an online calculation of what I should receive and universal credits come up at and additional £200 a week.

Sounds too good to be true. 

Should I apply as I don't want to be worse off. I have only heard bad things


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,825 Disability Gamechanger

    The disability element of tax credits under UC is the LCWRA element. Receiving PIP doesn't automatically qualify you for this. To claim this, you need to send in sick/fit notes and claim limited capability for work (LCW) once you're referred you'll be sent a work capability assessment form, which needs to be filled in and returned, with all your supporting evidence. You'll then most likely need a face to face assessment, similar to PIP but with different criteria. Once a decision is made if you're given LCWRA then you'll receive the extra £328 per month. If you're not given LCWRA then you won't receive the extra. It's definitely not what it seems.

    When you filled out the benefits calculator did you tick the box that says something like (limited capability for work) it sounds like you did and this is could be why it's given this calculation.

    There's also a work allowance that payable but to receive this will depend on circumstances. If you have dependent children or claim LCW then you'll receive the work allowance. How much you receive will depend if you claim the housing element or not. The work allowance means that you can earn that amount of money before you start to receive any deductions.

    My advice is don't claim UC until you've got face to face advice from an advice centre near you because once you claim it, you can't go back onto tax credits. I'm not saying you'll be worse off because some are better off depending on circumstances.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.