Child starting University. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Child starting University.

jennierobertson Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited February 2019 in Education
I’m trying to find anyone who has a child who is a permanent wheelchair user who went off to university. My daughter is in the process of picking a university and is due to start in September. I need advice about how to go about social care, possibly living in halls and how others have found this process, thanks


  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    edited February 2019
    Welcome to the community @jennierobertson thank you for sharing this with us.

    Hopefully some of our member will be able to support you with this. You may find our page on the process for social care useful.

    Please keep us updated or if have any questions, please let us know.
  • Adam_Alumni
    Adam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 164 Pioneering

    Hi @Jennierobertson

    Welcome to the community.

    I have placed your post in the Ask a disabled student advisor

    You will be able to ask any questions you need there, and hopefully pick up useful tips from fellow members.

    I hope this helps and  I wish your child the best for their studies.

  • Beverley_Scope
    Beverley_Scope Scope Navigate service Posts: 84 Pioneering
    Hi @jennierobertson,

    I'm not sure if the following web sites will help, but they give advice on choosing universities with disabled access, a wheelchair users guide to university and also rights on funding for further education.

    Hopefully it will give you a starting point on where to look.

    Good luck and I hope your daughter has a fantastic experience when she attends university.

    Beverley Davies
    Parent Advisor
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Member Posts: 413 Pioneering
    My son is power chair and communication aid user (CP). he started at Newcastle uni in sept 2017 and has a range of support in place.  If personal care support etc is needed then that would normally come from the home area social services and/or NHS continuing health care (after an assessment)  Uni's will have adapted accommodation so look on their accommodation web page and then contact them asap and arrange to view more than one.  If your daughter will need overnight support then an additional room will need to be paid for (my son is in Uni accomm and the room next to his is the support worker room..rolling rota)  Social Services should pay for this but they don't all.  You may find that, depending on the uni, they will subsidise accommodation (in their halls) a bit for disabled students who need bigger or ensuite rooms or an extra carer room.  For any academic equipment needed then Disabled Students Allowance should be applied for at the same time as student finance.  DSA now provides no "human" support (note takers etc) except in very specific situations (like the need for BSL) and so the uni is expected to provide academic support staff.
    The uni will have some sort of Student Wellbeing service which will include disabled student support and so you should also contact them asap to see how they can help.  Good luck!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.