spondylitis - off work for three months — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

spondylitis - off work for three months

giddings Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I am looking for some advice I work 20 hours a week as a care worker I all so have got spondylitis in my back at the moment I have been signed of work for 3 months now just been signed of again for a month I am struggling with money I was wondering what help I could get 


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    Hello @giddings   Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing. Sorry to hear that your not too good.

    I am one of the team of community champions who help and advise new members who have joined the forum.

    We have lots of information on our website on benefits have a look.

    Also consider looking at to find out more about benefits.


    You could also look at CAB website or speak to them for any further benefit advice.  Have expertise and knowledge. Especially form filling in.

    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Adam_Alumni
    Adam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 164 Pioneering

    Hi @giddings,

    Have you tried our online benefits checker?   You can also find out more information about benefits on our website.

    I hope this helps

  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @giddings , please let keep us updated ;)
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @giddings
    I have asked @BenefitsTrainingCo to take a look at your question :)
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi @giddings You should look to see if you are likely to qualify for Personal Independence Payment - this is a disability benefit which is not means tested so even if you returned to work, if you continue to have health problems you may still be able to retain this.  It has a qualifying period of 3 months before you claim (which you have met) and also requires that you are likely to still have these difficulties in the coming 9 months.  You can see more information here https://www.gov.uk/pip
    You do not say how much income you have at present or whether you get any benefits at the moment.  Also if you have a partner, then your partner's income/capital would effect any entitlement you may have to means tested benefits.  So although I can suggest you look into whether you are entitled to Universal Credit I cannot be sure whether you are.  Do beware that if you do get any means tested benefits at present, if you claim Universal Credit any means tested benefits you get now would stop and be replaced by Universal Credit with no way of returning to them.  I hope that gives you somewhere to start.  
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.