Benefits — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.


maggy Member Posts: 27 Connected
Getting turned down for everything can hardly walk had accident at work now got severe arthritis in foot can't get nothing


  • Roddy
    Roddy Member Posts: 389 Pioneering
    maggy said:
    Getting turned down for everything can hardly walk had accident at work now got severe arthritis in foot can't get nothing
    Hi maggy.  I'm sorry to here about this, however I'm sure that some help should be available for you.

    Firstly, have you taken this up with your employers, regarding the accident that you said you had at work? They may be liable to compensate you and to pay you a wage/sick pay. There are also specialist advisors and solicitors which may also be able to claim on your behalf, under a no-win no-fee basis. 

    Secondly, provided that you can obtain Sick Notes from your GP then you should/could be entitled to DWP ESA benefit subject to your individual circumstances  which will be means tested when you apply.

    I'm sure that somebody on here will be able to give you further advice too. In the mean time take care and try not to get stressed over it all. A sick note from your Dr would be a very good move. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,733 Disability Gamechanger

    When you say you've been turned down for everything, what benefits have you applied for? More information is needed to be able to help you further. Do you work? Live with a partner that works?
  • miracle
    miracle Member Posts: 22 Connected
    If you are off work long term, by law, your employer, is liable to pay you 26 weeks sick pay. If you are off longer than 26 weeks, Then you can apply for Employment Support Allowance. I know this, because i have been off work, with complications, that arose, after major surgery, 4 years ago. I hope this is helpful
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,733 Disability Gamechanger
    SSP is payable for 28 weeks, not 26 weeks. Being entitled to this will depend on your earnings. Claiming New style ESA will depend on your NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years, if you haven't paid enough then you can't claim this. Income related ESA no longer exists because all areas are now a full universal credit area. Claiming UC will depend on circumstances because it's a means tested benefit.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.