worried about social worker for my son — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

worried about social worker for my son

Scottishlass1966 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2019 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi I am actually worried that social workers want to put my son who for the past seven  months has become non verbal he is 19 years old has Autisim and Cerebral now the thing that worries me is they want to give him 24 hour care but my concern is I do not know these people my son does not know them and i do not know how they will treat him I am really concerned at the end of the day they can care for him but at the end of the day he is home with me and safe am i wrong for thinking this way I also have a right to protect my boy i certainly would love to see him independant but how are these people going to look after him 


  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @Scottishlass1966 thank you for sharing this with us. I can understand why you may feel concerned, so you're not wrong in feeling this way. Our autism and aspergers  advisor , @Jack_W may be able to offer you some advice.
  • Nicola247_
    Nicola247_ Member Posts: 1 Listener
    [email protected] I completely understand.  My daughter was autistic, though she was verbal.  Finding good help/care is such a worry.  You know your son, what he likes/doesn't like and how he copes.  But others don't, and a multitude of carers - some with little or no training, just doesn't work well.  Its worth looking around, there are some great person centred places (Walsingham support for example), and there is now software, www.myliferaft.com which is free and can help you share all that really important stuff you know about your son and which anyone else who works with him needs to know.   Good luck, hope it all goes well.   
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Scottishlass1966

    A very warm welcome.

    I am sorry to learn about your concerns, about your son’s welfare.

    Could I suggest you contact MENCAP tel: 0808 808 1111, they will provide expert advice. Also check if they have a local support group where you live.

    Also check, if there are any local advocacy advisors for both you and your son.

    Have you got a local Carers group?

    All you want is what is best for your child.

    Please keep us informed and best wishes.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.