PIP pensioners WILL still be reviewed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP pensioners WILL still be reviewed

Options
keira
keira Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
Amber Rudd’s announcement that claimants of state pension age will no longer have regular reviews has turned out to be both not entirely true and old news, Benefits and Work can reveal.

If Rudd had said that claimants of pensionable age would be reviewed less often and not usually have to have a face-to-face assessment, that would have been broadly accurate. If she had added that this change had already been largely in place since last summer, she would have been even closer to the truth.

In a written statement issued this morning and widely reported in the media, Rudd announced:

“We will improve and simplify the customer experience by no longer undertaking regular reviews of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) awards for claimants at or above State Pension age unless they tell us their needs have changed.”

However, a DWP press release on the .Gov website tells a slightly different story:

“Around 270,000 people receiving Personal Independence Payment (PIP) who have reached State Pension age will no longer have their awards regularly reviewed, instead moving to a light touch review every 10 years.”

Every ten years may not be frequent, but it does appear to be regular.

What is more, the 10 year “light touch” review process was announced by Minister for Disabled People, Sarah Newton as long ago as last June, before Rudd became work and pensions secretary.

And back in January of this year we published guidance for decision makers which has been in place since last August. The guidance makes it clear that most claimants of pensionable age should be subject to the 10 year light touch review:

“On-going awards for claimants can be reached in one of two ways:

“following advice from the AP that no review is required and the claimant’s restrictions on Daily Living/ and or Mobility are stable and unlikely to change significantly or they have very high levels of needs which will only deteriorate.

“and where the claimant is awarded enhanced/enhanced and their needs are not going to improve or would only deteriorate.

“Note: You may also consider an enhanced daily living award alone where the claimant is State Pension Age or over and has either not been awarded the mobility component or has been awarded the mobility component at the standard rate and their mobility needs are not going to improve.”

In other words, most pensioners who get an enhanced award of the daily living component or whose needs are stable were already covered by the light touch review system.

So, it’s a little surprising that Rudd claimed all the credit today when she announced:

“I want to change the landscape for disabled people in Britain.

“Progress has been made, but we need to do more to close the gap between our intentions and disabled people’s experiences.

“The changes I am setting out today, including stopping unnecessary reassessments for disabled pensioners, are a step forward in improving quality of life for the UK’s 14 million disabled people.”

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3888-pip-pensioners-will-still-be-reviewed

Comments

• twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Of course they will. I have said this over the past two days - they will still be assessed every 10 years. People seem to have taken the statement to mean 'for life'!
    One thing I would say is that the 10 year award only related a few claimants that were over 65. It now appears to be the case that every dog and his man over 65 with any PIP award will get a 10 year breather!

One thing that will stop and quite rightly so are those Enhanced awards for claimants over 65 being awarded by a Tribunal  only to end up being cancelled back to 0 points a year later under a 3 year award period following another face to face assessment.

I have read that some OAP's were being assessed every other year!

'What about improving the life of non pensionable age group claimants. Who will have to keep jumping through the endless DWP loops to get or continue to get an award via frequent continuation of re-assessments'.

You can't please everybody all of the time - we might as well go back to the DLA days of indefinite awards for all and forget about face to face assessments!

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Options
    If you look at the statement it states that a light touch review will take place every 10 years which is not a face to face but a letter asking if your condition has changed and the DWP will save millions by doing this..
    All the negative posts are from people who are probably not 65 and will not benefit but in the end not assessing pensioners will save 277,000 face to face assessments and probably 200,000 tribunals so the under 65's will benefit with shorter waiting times so the news is good for everyone so lets not knock it and give credit where it's due
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    People over 65 are usually  weaker than younger people.
    They have had their illness for a lot longer.
    A lot have died as one mp stated AT our PM. I was disgusted at the mealy mouth responce from our PM to the mp about the high number of elderly who have died while being messed about by the DWP.
    I will remember thus next time I'm VOTING 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.