I have suffered from chronic back pain for almost 30 years — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have suffered from chronic back pain for almost 30 years

Options
Andyb1967
Andyb1967 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have suffered from chronic back pain for almost 30 years and I have had to have 2 surgeries on my L4-L5 discs and vertebrae and even now I am always in constant pain, I have recently had more facet injections for added pain relief but they are a bit hit and miss. Unless you have experienced the pain and the way it can debilitate your daily life, you really have no idea how people suffer with it.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Andyb1967 welcome to the community! Sorry to hear this. You may like to check out the discussions in our dealing with chronic pain message board. Many of our community members suffer with chronic pain, you're not alone and I am sure they will be happy to get in contact to offer tips and support :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Andyb1967, I am sorry to hear about this, thank you for sharing this with us. How are you doing today?

If you have any questions you can ask our chronic pain advisor @ClaireSaul :)
  • ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Andyb1967 - I am so sorry that you share such a similar experience to me with so many years of back pain and so many surgeries.  I agree with you that no one else can understand unless they have been in a similar position - chronic pain affects every part of your life.
    How do you cope day to day? Are you under a pain team?
    Good to meet you,
    Claire
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk
  • ste350
    ste350 Community member Posts: 22 Listener
    Options
    Hi Andyb1967, this sounds so similar to myself. I slipped a disc 30 years ago L5/6 paid private to see a consultant who had me in for surgery within 3 weeks, no physio or anything. Operation failed and after another year had to have another L5/6/7 bone graft. This failed causing severe incontinence. Told a third operation would be too dangerous. The years have passed C6/7 then caused severe pain down my right arm and numbness in my thumb and first 3 fingers, being right handed is not good. Then got polymyalgia for the last 6 years. Had the enhanced rate for both. Went for assessment, assessor told lies and didn't care about pain. Did mandatory reconsideration and they dropped my rate to standard rate. that was Feb 2018. I appealed and finally went to Preston Magistrates court today and won both. I wanted to give up, weren't bothered about the car but I wanted to keep my blue badge and prove the assessor was a liar. Steve ps anyone want to know what court is like? let me know.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.