Universal Credit advise

Options
Zoe1992
Zoe1992 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi im looking for some advice. I have been on universal credit for a few months now. My doctor signed me off work in December as I have a heart condition that was getting worse and I need lots of rest and I'm currently waiting heart surgery. I went for a medical assessment threw uc and they have said that I'm fine to do some work. They have told me that I don't need to send in fit notes to them so basically they have said I'm fine regardless of what my doctors have said and seeing all my medical evidence. Are they allowed to over look fit notes from a doctor. It clearly says not fit to work. I have put in a reconsideration complaint. The woman I spoke to about it was lovely and so helpful. I struggle with my condition on a daily basis. It stops me doing what I need to do. I am shocked with there decision regarding my heart condition. 

Tia

Comments

• Bevvy7andover
    Bevvy7andover Community member Posts: 38 Connected
    Options
    Go talk with Citezens advice hun
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,298 Online Community Programme Lead
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi @Zoe1992, welcome to the community. 

I'm really sorry to hear about the outcome of your medical assessment. Unfortunately this is a common problem, which I can imagine adds a great deal of stress. 
    Hopefully your mandatory reconsideration will work out for you, but if it doesn't, please remember you can challenge it at an independent tribunal (which can sound scarier than it actually is!) Citizens Advice have some information about how to do that here.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,635 Championing
    Options
    Hi @Zoe1992
    I have asked @BenefitsTrainingCo to take a look at your question.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Trailblazing
    Options

Hi @Zoe1992 You have done the correct thing in asking for a reconsideration.  This is an internal review of the decision.  I would also advise that you start by looking at the criteria for this test, you can read more about it here: https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/wca-limited-capability-work-assessment and specifically look at the descriptors to ensure you know what the test is and can be specific about why you think you meet the test.  Secondly, if you have any medical evidence not already provided, you should provide this to the DWP.  If the next decision is not changed in your favour, you can ask for an independent tribunal to look at your case, although this is not possible until you have the reconsideration decision.  The form you need to request an appeal can be downloaded here and also has instructions on where to post it: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/appeal-a-social-security-benefits-decision-form-sscs1

Wishing you all the best

Sarah