Funding for carpets and household items? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Funding for carpets and household items?

tracey1313
tracey1313 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I’m getting rehoused and need carpets and household items I’m disabled and receive Dwp and EESA can I get funding or help 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @tracey1313

Scope does not give financial assistance or grants, but you may find it helpful to use this online grants search.

Please remember charities and grant-giving trusts rarely give money for things that you could get through, or could be funded by, statutory sources, such as benefits. Please use the online benefits calculator first.

Budgeting Loans and short-term advances

Budgeting Loans are available through the Department for Work and Pensions to help claimants who have been on an income-related benefit for at least 26 weeks. The loans help cover the costs of essential items for which it is difficult to budget.

Short-term advances are intended for those in financial need because of a delay in dealing with a claim or making payment of a benefit aware.

Local welfare provision schemes

Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans have been replaced. In England this is by Local Welfare Provision Schemes run by local authorities. In Wales there is a national scheme called the Discretionary Assistance Fund.

You could also look at local charities and ask in free facebook groups?

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @tracy1313

Where we live there is a local charity, that receive donated household goods.

That are checked and offered to people that have limited income.

Not sure if they do carpets.

They do white goods and free delivery.

Try speaking to local CAB, to see what is available near you.

Keep us informed.

• Paulines7
    Paulines7 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Tracey, you may find this Facebook site below helpful, as they have all types of furniture available and sometimes it is free.  There is also Freecycle but you cannot always see the items whereas the link below has good descriptions with photos.  Remember to put in your town or city before you search so they show the items near you. 

My son recently moved into a flat and we went to a charity shop where we bought a large box full of kitchen items.  They also have a warehouse where they have secondhand furniture.  We found out about other charities in our area who also sell furniture, cookers, fridges and other household items and deliver them for a small fee. One company would have provided everything my son needed for his flat for £25 plus a delivery charge.  The problem is that he would get whatever they gave him, without any choice.  My son was fortunate that we were able to help him out financially by paying his months rent in advance, buying him new carpeting, cooker, fridge freezer and a secondhand 3 piece suite. We also gave him £500 towards things like his TV licence, kitchen equipment, groceries, cleaning things etc.  He was able to give us some money back when he received a back dated payment of PIP following his Tribunal. 

Friends and relatives gave our son a chest of drawers, crockery, lampshades, bedside light,TV table, kitchen table and chairs as well as some brand new bath towels.  I hope you have a network of friends and relatives that can help you,Tracey, especially for lifting and transporting any secondhand furniture that you buy or find free of charge.

I cannot help you regarding loans and grants for your move,Tracey, as my knowledge is limited on that.  Remember though that a loan from the DWP does have to be paid back and that would mean less money to pay your household bills every month.

Good luck, Tracey.

• charlie79
    charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    If you have a emmause near u I furnished my whole hse £10 for table 40 for bed 5 coffee table ect
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What about Freecycle? People sell their unwanted goods on there all the time or try FB marketplace. Another way to find items you need is to ask charity shops in the area or see if anyone is holding a car boot sale. Alternatively, ask your friends, neighbors, co workers, relatives etc if they have any unwanted things to sell you.
    When I moved last year, I decided to sell unwanted goods and I also looked online for boxes. I sold most of what we no longer needed by way of a table top sale. If you can’t sell them through other means, consider that as a last ditch option only. Friends and relatives helped me by finding empty cardboard boxes to use and handing out leaflets advertising a community table top sale as well as sorting donations and pricing them.
    Hope this is helpful! 
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Welcome @tracey1313     British Heart Foundation and the Salvation Army both have big stores in my area where they sell virtually all you could want for regarding furniture for every room in your house.  Very reasonably priced and they will deliver too. Not sure about floorcoverings though.   I got a virtually unused riser/recliner armchair for only £60. Everything is safety checked before sale.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Ahmedbokash
    Ahmedbokash Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, my name is Ahmed Bokash and looking for help towards carpet please
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,611 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ahmedbokash Hi I hope your well, I live in Scotland and they have a Scottish welfare scheme, there might be something similar we’re you live, I moved house recently and I received help with white goods, and carpets, hope you get help good luck. 
  • Rachel38
    Rachel38 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi I've been in my property fr nearly 7 years nw with my son age 6 and since I've been there I haven't been able to get carpet fr my sons bedroom and myself and also stair carpet and bedroom furniture my so won
    't sleep in his bedroom because he wanted all mice and cozy with carpet.and as a single parent I'm struggling like mad and just wish I could get furniture and carpets 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 3,567 Scope online community team
    Hey @Rachel38, welcome to the community. :)  
    Have you looked into any of the links people have posted on this discussion?  Specifically the links from Sam?  Hopefully they can help you in your quest. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.