Changes for pensioners on PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changes for pensioners on PIP

Options
Joetel
Joetel Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Can anyone please explain about Amber Rudd’s announcement about the changes for pensioners on pip

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

PIP PENSIONERS WILL STILL BE REVIEWED
    In a written statement last week, a kindly Amber Rudd announced that the DWP would be ““
    no longer undertaking regular reviews of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) awards for claimants at or above State Pension age unless they tell us their needs have changed.”

The DWP, however, rather undermined this gesture in its own press release on the subject, by explaining that rather than no reviews, PIP pensioners will have a “light touch review every 10 years.”

What’s more, this isn’t news at all.

Ten yearly light touch reviews were announced last summer, long before Rudd was in the job.

DWP guidance that has been in place since last August, telling DWP decision makers that most claimants of state pension age should only have these reviews.

So, not entirely true and definitely not new.

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Joetel
    Joetel Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for the information.but cans get my head round that statement.do you still go for assessment every three years or have a light touch one every ten years
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    The simple answer is that at present nobody knows.
    I think you can expect to be reassessed in line with your current award. When a new decision is made a new length will be set. Logically to me, if you received enhanced for DL, then the light touch should be implemented. As the mobility component cannot be increased  after SRA, only if you receive standard DL would an early reveiw be beneficial. There is still the onus on the claimant to report a change in circumstance
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Options
    Joetel said:
    Thanks for the information.but cans get my head round that statement.do you still go for assessment every three years or have a light touch one every ten years
    Until the facts and government agreement surrounding that statement are known there will be no change.

Also for Cockneybebel to suggest that most claimants of state pension age should only have these reviews is wrong. Age had nothing to do with it. It was all about the condition and whether the impact was stable. The majority of pensioners still get 3/5 yearly reviews.
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    The light touch review is already in place for any claimant irrespective of age
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @CockneyRebel

Can you point me in the right direction on the light touch regime.

My PIP is due for review in 2020.

So in 2019, some kind of review will take place.

I am 67 years young.

I get PIP enhanced for both components.

In my original assessment report of 2015, the HCP stated my conditions would not improve by 2020.

The kind lady was right, my conditions have worsened since 2015, but as I am on enhanced for both PIP components, I see no reason to report these changes.

As you may be aware, if you have chronic and lifelong conditions, no treatments are available, once you have been down those lonely lanes, looking for a cure.

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks, in anticipation.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    atlas46 said:
    Hi @CockneyRebel

Can you point me in the right direction on the light touch regime.

At the moment light touch reviews are only for those with an ongoing 10 year award.

For those of pension age and above then you'll just have to wait for further announcements.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    When your award is up for review you should make your case for an ongoing award.

As advised by mikehughesesq
    Use the extra information section to describe your conditions in detail; the specifics of the symptoms and especially how they interact. 

Also, if applicable, use it to spell out that you want an ongoing award and explain why e.g. your condition is degenerative, you’ve done all the adapting you’re going to do etc. If you don’t specifically ask for an ongoing award you will almost always get a short one.

• twonker
    Options
    The light touch review is already in place for any claimant irrespective of ag

Absolutely! The 10 year award is currently being given depending on the type of condition, the impact caused by it is stable and provided that the Enhanced rates are awarded.
    What I find incredible is the suggestion by Amber Rudd that ALL pensioners will be qualify for an automatic entitlement of 10 years no matter what level of award has been given and whatever the condition(s) are that have caused the impact. Like I have said should pensioners who only have a Standard care award for gaining 8 points via 4 lots of aids be given a 10 year award?

• twonker
    Options
    When your award is up for review you should make your case for an ongoing award. 
    Obviously you have every right to ask but the final decision lies with the DWP and would normally follow what the assessor recommends.
    You do have the right to raise an appeal against an award length, but then it is for the claimant to convince a Tribunal that it is appropriate given the rules of granting it (condition type and how stable the impact is)
  • twonker
    Options
    Seems like Amber Rudd is getting the hang of manipulating news to suit her profile.
    Wasn't she a good girl in saying that pensioners will no longer have regular reviews of their PIP award.
    She even cited her father as her inspiration to carry this ground breaking offer.

Now we find that the real truth is that she couldn't carry out these regular reviews as the DWP just don't have the staff to carry them out!

https://inews.co.uk/news/dwp-quietly-admits-never-had-capacity-pip-reviews-pensioners-disabilities-dwp-benefits/
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    Some had DLA. When they went through pension  age, they were told they would be left on that, if it was a lifelong  assessment.    When the Pip came, they were  told it didn't apply to them.
    Has anything  changed for that group of pensioners?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    newborn said:
    Some had DLA. When they went through pension  age, they were told they would be left on that, if it was a lifelong  assessment.    When the Pip came, they were  told it didn't apply to them.
    Has anything  changed for that group of pensioners?
    If they were under 65 on 8th April 2013 then they will still be invited to apply for PIP. DLA no longer exists for people of that age at that time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.