PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Severe disability premium

Virgil78Virgil78 Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hi,  my name is Richard and i am glad to Join your community. 
I would like some advice please . I recently had to go to two tribunals , one for ESA support group and the other one for PIP. 
I am glad to say i won both of them . For my PIP that took 14 months to get resolved , i was awarded 8 points for moving around and 8 point for the living component.  So standard rate for both .
My question is, because I was refused PIP but then won my tribunal 14 months later and was awarded the above points.  Because I was refused PIP i was not i could not apply for the Severe disability premium,  but now i am entitled to apply because of my standard mobility award, does this mean that i can ask for it to be back dated to the date my PIP was backdated to ?
Because with this decision it really means that i was entitled apply at the same date i was entitled to the PIP.  I hope all that makes sense.  All help and advice would be greatly appreciated,  thanks. 

Replies

  • atlas46atlas46 Member Posts: 827 Pioneering
    Hi @Virgil78

    A very warm welcome.

    Yes you should get the Premium backdated.

    Could I also suggest you get face to face advice from a Welfare Rights Advisor (CAB), to have a thorough benefits check.

    As PIP leads to automatic right to other benefits.

    Hope this helps.

    Keep us informed.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

    To claim the SDP you must also live alone or be classed as living alone.

    You will need to wait for your payments for the PIP to re-start before you can claim this and payments can take 8 weeks after winning a Tribunal.

    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • AM2018AM2018 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi! My name is Andrea and I am suffering from severe depression and severe anxiety with chronic back pains and asthma. I had my assessment done last March 6 and the result was sent to DWP PIP March 14. I requested a copy of my assessment and was told it will take 7 to 10 days to arrive. The DWP hasn’t done the decision yet and I am anxious about it. I was also awarded by Universal Credit a Limited Capability to work for 15 months. Did anyone has the same illness and have a positive results? Thanks in advance. 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    AM2018 said:
    Hi! My name is Andrea and I am suffering from severe depression and severe anxiety with chronic back pains and asthma. I had my assessment done last March 6 and the result was sent to DWP PIP March 14. I requested a copy of my assessment and was told it will take 7 to 10 days to arrive. The DWP hasn’t done the decision yet and I am anxious about it. I was also awarded by Universal Credit a Limited Capability to work for 15 months. Did anyone has the same illness and have a positive results? Thanks in advance. 
    HI,

    PIP isn't award based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Once you receive the report look for the boxes with dots/ticks and compare them against the PIP descriptors this will tell you if there's an awarded recommended or not but you'll still have to wait for the decision.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • twonkertwonker Posts: 617 Member
    atlas46 said:
    Hi @Virgil78

    A very warm welcome.

    Yes you should get the Premium backdated.

    Could I also suggest you get face to face advice from a Welfare Rights Advisor (CAB), to have a thorough benefits check.

    As PIP leads to automatic right to other benefits.

    Hope this helps.

    Keep us informed.
    I believe that this posting and the question being asked could apply to other additions to other benefits as well.

    Carers Allowance is one, as well as Pension Credit if you are old enough.

  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    twonker said:
    atlas46 said:
    Hi @Virgil78

    A very warm welcome.

    Yes you should get the Premium backdated.

    Could I also suggest you get face to face advice from a Welfare Rights Advisor (CAB), to have a thorough benefits check.

    As PIP leads to automatic right to other benefits.

    Hope this helps.

    Keep us informed.
    I believe that this posting and the question being asked could apply to other additions to other benefits as well.

    Carers Allowance is one, as well as Pension Credit if you are old enough.

    If someone claims carers allowance for looking after you then you won't be entitled to claim the severe disability premium.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • twonkertwonker Posts: 617 Member
    Agreed, but I was stating that there are other benefits that can be backdated if appropriate.
  • Virgil78Virgil78 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I would like to thank everyone for their help,it was much appreciated . 
    The whole system is a nightmare , i looked after my mother who suffered from MS and was paraplegic.
    I fought so hard for her with Adult services, unfortunately she passed away about a year ago do to lack of care in the hospital,  i am now fighting that only so it won't happen to other people's loved ones.  She was told that she had to go to hospital to have antibiotics intravenously, but i only only found out when i asked that they weren't doing that when i asked about the driver next to her bed,  i got them to do it she rally one day and then died. I knew from what the paramedics said that if she was without intravenous antibiotics for a least even a day she would  die,  it was 10 days by then , 
    I got a sense from looking after her ,how badly disabled people are treated.
    Now i am limited in my own abilities, I have experienced it first-hand. The fight with DWP takes it out of you,  the assessments are were total lies. I will never go to an assessment without filming it and recording  every part and with the witness.
    After such a punishing time and incurring lots of debt it feels like a hollow victory. 
    But the tribunal decision gives me some time to try out new treatments I'm trying to get my health back on track.
    Thanks again everyone it was very kind, Richard. 
  • Virgil78Virgil78 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Severe disability premium 
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Now i am limited in my own abilities, I have experienced it first-hand. The fight with DWP takes it out of you,  the assessments are were total lies. I will never go to an assessment without filming it and recording  every part and with the witness.

    Currently filming an assessment is not allowed and for audio recording you need permission and you have to supply the equipment capable of making two simultaneous copies. If found to be covertly recording your file will be returned to DWP and your claim closed.

    If you do record an assessment within the guidelines it is still of limited use other than a reminder to yourself of what took place. To be used as evidence at a tribunal it will need to be professionaly transcibed at your expense ant the tribunal will not have time to read through an hour or so of transcript
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Virgil78Virgil78 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    They are a law to themselves.  Looks like i will take my sister with me at least i will have a witness .
    Thanks for warning me. 
  • twonkertwonker Posts: 617 Member
    Virgil78 said:
    They are a law to themselves.  Looks like i will take my sister with me at least i will have a witness .
    Thanks for warning me. 
    A witness to what? If you honestly believe that having someone with you will make a difference then you are wrong. If that were to be the case those who attend on their own would be placed at a disadvantage.
    Besides which most of the assessment report is based on observations and assumptions and any later argument will end up as he said, she said.

Sign in or join us to comment.