Advice with Carers Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Advice with Carers Allowance

cc21 Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi please could I have some advice regarding issues with Carers allowance


  • cc21
    cc21 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    I have had to pay a large sum back from 2016 after conflicting advice because I had a job earning £75 a week and on the bank holidays I went over be ause pay was extra and over the year I earned £3 over £115 5 times. I rang and was to,d it was not an issue. I got a letter last year regarding a compliance issue and duscussed this over the phone filled in the forms. Never heard anything. Last month got a bill fir over £750. Had to pay allowance back plus a fine and lost NI contributions. I was no longer working due to a change in circumstances.
    my son is 23 with DS. Now I have been offered holiday cover at weekends £100 I have filled in forms sent paperwork first payslip. Not working again until end of April and I have to go for another compliance interview! I’m feeling a bit harassed.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,886 Disability Gamechanger

    You really do need to get some face to face advice from either your local CAB, welfare rights or law centre because it's not really something someone on an internet forum can advise you with because we don't know all the exact details.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cc21
    I have asked @BenefitsTrainingCo to take a look at your post
    Senior online community officer
  • cc21
    cc21 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you, that’s very kind,
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi cc21,

    As long as you do not earn over £120 per week (after tax, national insurance, care costs while you are at work and half of what you pay into your pension) then you should remain entitled to carers allowance.

    It's worth knowing that once you have been caring for a disabled person for a while, you can take a break from caring without losing your carers allowance.

    You can take four weeks holiday every six months (without caring, or earning over £120 in those weeks) and still get your carers allowance. You can choose which weeks you want your holiday but must let the carers allowance unit know.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.