finding suitable residential accommodation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

finding suitable residential accommodation

AA99
AA99 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I need some help with finding suitable residential accommodation for my 34-yr old niece with mentality of 8 yrs old.  She is returning to the UK from overseas in the next 12 months but we don't know where to start?!

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Aa99 welcome to the community! Have you checked out the information in getting more adaptable accommodation? Let us know if you need any further help :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • AA99
    I'll look now, thank you.
  • AA99
    Ami2301, I have looked at those links but this young lady will need residential care.  Her father is nearly 70 and has early dementia, and her mother, my sister, is 65, and simply cannot cope with both of them!  Her daughter is currently in a residential home for mentally handicapped and comes home every other weekend.  She enjoys that arrangement and only needs OT, as is incapable of all else.  I have found so many articles are looking at offering people independent lifestyles but she will never have this.  I should think my local council will be the first to approach with a view to a needs assessment?
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Speaking to your local council will be the best place to start :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.