Help for parent carers of adult children? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Help for parent carers of adult children?

Aspley Member Posts: 3 Listener
Does anyone know of an Parent Carer if adult children organisations?

Thank You


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,941 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Aspley welcome to the community! Could you tell us a bit more please? Then we will find information for you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Aspley
    Aspley Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Ami2301

    My adult son  LD and Autism. There seem to be lots of Carer groups up to the age of 25 but not for adults 25 and above.

    Im also unable to get the support and information from my local Carers Support 
    service. There seems a to be no provisions or access to the courses they run. As they are all during the day. I also support my son.
     Thank you
  • Aspley
    Aspley Member Posts: 3 Listener
    He also has a review coming up.  I need some advice on how to prepare for it.

    He lives independently and receives 13 hours of support from a Care Support company.

    His health needs have changed and he has been diagnosed with Diabetes.
    I spend more time with him than the Care company.

    I was advised that he should be having more support hours
    especilally as his health needs have changed.

    He doesn’t take his meds when prompted by the support  staff. They also say they can only make suggestions around his food intake and what he eats.

    There are actually a number of issues.

    Which is why I am seeking support.

    Thank you. 

  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Aspley
    Carers UK are not specific to parents of adult children but do offer support and information to all carers. They say:

    "Caring can be extremely complicated. The maze of rights and entitlements can be complicated. Filling in paperwork can be complicated. Getting a break can be complicated. Our feelings about caring can certainly be complicated.

    We're here to make sure that no matter how complicated your query or your experience, you don't have to care alone. 

    Our expert telephone advice and support service is here if you want to talk about caring. If you're looking for answers, our online information and support is the best place to start."

    You can call them on 0808 808 7777 or find lots of information here on the Carers UK website.

    Senior online community officer
  • Beverley_Scope
    Beverley_Scope Scope Navigate service Posts: 84 Pioneering
    Hi @Aspley

    Another national charity is called Carers Trust.

    "Carers Trust is a major charity for, with and about carers. We work to improve support, services and recognition for anyone living with the challenges of caring, unpaid, for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or addiction problems. Our vision is that unpaid carers count and can access the help they need to live their lives".

    The link is below.  They can give advice on money and benefits, respite, health and well being and have a forum that you can join to speak with other carers.

    Best regards,

    Beverley Davies
    Parent Advisor


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.