disability swimming — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

disability swimming

Options
bluemax1
bluemax1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi there weI am new to the group and looking to see if anyone knows how the disability swimming works I know certain centres do an hour on a day of the week, I just would like to find out from anyone who has had experience with going what is the situation with changing rooms and the privacy of the lesson has my husband is wheelchair user, he has severe arthritis in both knees and has result of this has put a lot of weight on he needs to swim to try get his joints moving, but this is not easy has he feels uncomfortable in front of people, we don't know any other way of some form of exercise for him to do without the pain he is in constantly.

thanks any advise greatly welcome.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi @bluemax1 welcome to the community. Have you been in touch with your GP? They may be able to refer your husband to a suitable leisure centre in your area. 

There are a few seated exercises from Versus Arthritis website and from the NHS website.

Some of our members have mentioned swimming: @Hellymac63 @bootmandy @krazykay71 and can hopefully share their experiences with you. :)
  • veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    Options
    Go for it!  I can assure you hdrotherapy is the best exercise possible.  No need to worry about falling down, but water resistance makes any movement twice as effective  If you are lucky, your local hospital may have a hydotherapy pool, which will be kept at a suitable 34 degrees.  Public pools in leisure centres may be too cold, as they are kept at 29 - 30 degrees.  I value my privacy, and have always found I can get the degree I want.  But you must ensure the showers have adequate safety rails.  I have written about benefits of hydrotherapy on www.aftercancers.com
  • hdeakin
    hdeakin Scope Member Posts: 126 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @bluemax1 and welcome to the community. I go swimming once a week every week and go for hydrotherapy once each week. I love it. It makes such a difference to me and being in the water is amazing. I am a powerchair user and I find the local pool too cold but most local pools have a chair hoist. Where I live there is a lagoon pool which is slightly warmer and they have a disability session where they have showerchairs they can push in to the water(which I prefer to the chair hoist) we support each other and have fun. It is a great exercise. You are free in the water and helps stiffness etc. Where abouts do you live? Is there a hydrotherapy pool near you? That might be a good idea to start and warmer. I would definitely recommend visiting the place first as everywhere has different facilities. If I can help anymore please just ask. Best wishes, Hannah 
  • veriterc
    Options
    Hannah
    Where is this Utopia?  I would love to know if it is anywhere near me!

• hdeakin
    hdeakin Scope Member Posts: 126 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @veriterc Pool in the park, Woking, Surrey is the lagoon pool and then hydrotherapy I have a White Lodge, Chertsey, Surrey. 
  • veriterc
    Options
    I wish I lived nearer - but will look out to see if there are any similar pools not so far away.  Thanks for info.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.