Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

What can I do?

AllieJAllieJ Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello, does anyone know if a disabled facilities grant officer and occupational therapist have a say over a housing association? 
I live in a ground floor flat and prior to allocation my OT did tell my Housing association (Clarion) that I'd need wheelchair access and scooter storage.
The DFG officer from my local council has been out at my OT request and put forward plans to use the communal 'garden' it's actually a strip of ground that sits outside my back door, and install a ramp and scooter shed.

However, I have only two residents of 15 that say they want to use the communal garden for their children to play in so my housing association are looking to disallow the application (according to one of said residents who says my housing officer told her). 

 I've been allowed to use I as my own space for 18 months and have spent money turning it from cat litter shingle to a decked and flowered area. 

This 'communal garden' is directly outside my back door and I have m.e. & Fibromyalgia and am highly noise sensitive. I'm very concerned. My housing officer isn't responding to my request for a discussion about this. 

Is there anything I can do? Does the housing association have the power to veto the disabled access plans put forward via my OT and Disabled Facilities Grant Officer?

Anyone been through this or have input? 
Thanks and sorry for the long message.


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    Im afraid your local council can appose the planning permission and so can your neighbours.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.