Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

ESA: permitted to work

tracy1907tracy1907 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hiya - I am currently in support group ESA and I am considering up to 16 hrs work as a 'companion' for an elderly care agency.  I am a little confused by the 'permitted work' and I'm getting conflicting info from DWP and related agencies.  Is there anyone that might have had similar experiences or could give me some advice.  Appreciate any help or advice.

Many thanks guys
Have a nice weekend


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    For permitted work you must get permission before you start from DWP and you need to fill out the PW1 form.

    You must work less than 16 hours and earn no more than £125.50 per week. Any weeks you earn over this amount and you won't be entitled to any ESA for those weeks.

    Please be aware that if the work you do contradicts the reasons for your ESA claim then they could review you early and you do risk losing what you already have.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.