Working part time, is there any means of assistance I can ask for? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Working part time, is there any means of assistance I can ask for?

Reme623
Reme623 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, 
I'm in need of advice, I have been suffering with Oesteoathyritis for the past 23 years. I have recently had a total knee replacement and have been told that the other knee needs replacing also. Is there any means of assistance I can ask for as, I've been on SSP since December and I'm only now doing part time back in work. My usual income was £1800 but, I'm only now taking home £500.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Reme623  Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

I am unsure of an answer to your question.  There will be members of our community or a member of our team may be able to answer.

Have a look around our website for further information and advice.

I know benefits are complex and confusing.

You could speak to CAB they have expertise and knowledge on benefits.

Please if we can help and advise with anything else please ask.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Reme623
    Welcome to the community, have you tried filling in a benefits calculator? You could try filling in the PIP self test too to see if you could be entitled to this.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi reme623. If you work 16 hours a week you should be able to claim disability tax credits as long as you get pip or dla. I get pip and and am self employed I get disability tax credits. Get in touch with the HMRC and talk to them about it.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @Reme623! Do try the benefits calculator Sam mentions above. Depending on your circumstances you may be entitled to a Universal Credit top up. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Reme623
    Just done it and according to the test, I should be entitled to assistance 
  • Adrian_Scope
    That's great @Reme623, was that with Universal Credit or the PIP descriptors? 
    Do you know how to go about applying etc?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Reme623
    That was pip, i havent a clue what to do next
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Reme623, you've nothing to lose by applying. 
    For PIP you would apply by phone. There is more information on that here: Personal Independence Payment. Be sure to read through the descriptors etc first.

You could also put in for a Universal Credit top up which you can apply for online here: Universal Credit.

Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.