PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Just made a claim for PIP, 0 points

mumsymumsy Member Posts: 5 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA and AA
Just made a claim for pip,0 points.Suffer from ptsd,personality disorder,cold,chronic fatigue.The assessment was traumatic for me,have done a reconsideration with the dwp over the phone.The assessor knew I was distressed because she had to get me water but in her report she never mentioned this and over looked my mental health difficulties that effect my everyday life.

Replies

  • gnmeadsgnmeads Member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Hi mumsy and a big welcome to the Scope community and sorry to hear about your problems . What stage are you at? Ha e you appealed yet?

  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,954

    Scope community team

    Hi @mumsy, welcome to the community!
    How long ago did you put in for your reconsideration? Do you have any questions about it at all?

    I'm really sorry to hear how stressful for assessment was for you. Scope are currently trying to gather as many stories about people with poor experiences of PIP, ESA and Universal Credit, in particular those who have scored 0 points on their assessments. If you'd be willing, we'd love to hear from you in our 'tell us your experiences of benefits thread'.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

    Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • WaylayWaylay Member Posts: 922 Pioneering
    Hi @mumsy . This has happened to a lot of us on here. They seem to do this in the hope that people will give up. Please continue with the process!
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,297 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    Hello everyone, members are being lead to believe that the Assement companies have an hidden agenda to give people applying for PIP to give them a low score so they will put in for a MR then after another refusal they go for a tribunal which is a twelve month wait and many don’t or can’t go through this process. There is no agenda, it is us you me the claimants who think we have a right to claim or be awarded PIP irrespective of or if we meet the criteria of the PIP descriptors. Because we have a disability, diagnosis or illness is not an entitlement to PIP. If more claimants did a self test to see if they fit the descriptors for PIP and send in the correct supporting evidence with their claim application and not trying to claim a benefits they are not eligible or entitled to claim just because they have read or heard of someone claiming PIP or other benefits with the same or similar disability, diagnosis or illness.
  • twonkertwonker Posts: 617 Member
    edited March 2019
    wilko said:
    Hello everyone, members are being lead to believe that the Assement companies have an hidden agenda to give people applying for PIP to give them a low score so they will put in for a MR then after another refusal they go for a tribunal which is a twelve month wait and many don’t or can’t go through this process. There is no agenda, it is us you me the claimants who think we have a right to claim or be awarded PIP irrespective of or if we meet the criteria of the PIP descriptors. Because we have a disability, diagnosis or illness is not an entitlement to PIP. If more claimants did a self test to see if they fit the descriptors for PIP and send in the correct supporting evidence with their claim application and not trying to claim a benefits they are not eligible or entitled to claim just because they have read or heard of someone claiming PIP or other benefits with the same or similar disability, diagnosis or illness.
    To be frank, I have been to frightened to say the same thing. When I read what some claimants are expecting and what their conditions are no one seems to want to accept that PIP is not for them. Presumably it is a case of make a claim and see what happens instead of putting yourself in the DWP's shoes and ask yourself if PIP is a benefit that applies to you. Anybody that doubts it should not bother with the claim.


  • cristobalcristobal Member Posts: 966 Disability Gamechanger
    twonker said:
    To be frank, I have been to frightened to say the same thing. When I read what some claimants are expecting and what their conditions are no one seems to want to accept that PIP is not for them. Presumably it is a case of make a claim and see what happens instead of putting yourself in the DWP's shoes and ask yourself if PIP is a benefit that applies to you. Anybody that doubts it should not bother with the claim.


    I agree @twonker. Do one of the on-line tests, be honest and quite hard on yourself and see what you score. If it's less than 5/6 the it's likely you don't qualify....

    There has to have been major problems with the assessment to win at MR if you scored 0 points originally.....
  • twonkertwonker Posts: 617 Member
    ilovecats said:

    I have seen many claimants without mental health problems find the process stressful because they are being asked to discuss things that are not always very nice or comfortable to talk about. 
    Talk? My assessor never did. It was all 'if I was to say....would you agree', 'that's not very serious is it' and with one answer I gave she must have asked me 4 times in different ways to get me to agree with her. 
  • mumsymumsy Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Still at the reconsideration stage.ptsd is complex and effects every part of your life.Medical conditions are intermittent from day to day.The assessment is unfair for people with mental health problems.Its a fight just to keep going every dayIt also leaves you housebound.The assessment was very unfair to me because the woman was twisting my answers and with my mental health problems I just wanted to get out of their.
  • twonkertwonker Posts: 617 Member
    mumsy said:
    Still at the reconsideration stage.ptsd is complex and effects every part of your life.Medical conditions are intermittent from day to day.The assessment is unfair for people with mental health problems.Its a fight just to keep going every dayIt also leaves you housebound.The assessment was very unfair to me because the woman was twisting my answers and with my mental health problems I just wanted to get out of their.
    I can relate to that. I was asked if I agreed.... by the assessor. It was said in such a way that I felt that I had no alternative but to agree that I was overstating my claim simply to get done and get out of there.
  • wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,314 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    This is happening a lot on here and by the same group of members. Along comes a new poster trying to get help in the best way they can and you assume, with only a brief description of how their assessment was conducted  to go by, that they are applying for a benefit which they're not entitled to. OK so it's done by making out you're giving general advice but anyone who starts a thread such as this will more than likely take your replies personally. They then have to go on the defensive and try to explain themselves. This forum is supposed to be a friendly place where advice is given in a non judgemental way. You've tried to do it to me but I'm too long in the tooth to fall for it. No-one has the right to assume another poster is not entitled to PIP or is not understanding the criteria based on the limited information you have about them. 
  • djbantiquesdjbantiques Member Posts: 43 Connected
    wildlife said:
    This is happening a lot on here and by the same group of members. Along comes a new poster trying to get help in the best way they can and you assume, with only a brief description of how their assessment was conducted  to go by, that they are applying for a benefit which they're not entitled to. OK so it's done by making out you're giving general advice but anyone who starts a thread such as this will more than likely take your replies personally. They then have to go on the defensive and try to explain themselves. This forum is supposed to be a friendly place where advice is given in a non judgemental way. You've tried to do it to me but I'm too long in the tooth to fall for it. No-one has the right to assume another poster is not entitled to PIP or is not understanding the criteria based on the limited information you have about them. 
    I agree 100%. The best thing to do is  get individual face to face advice.
    Online open forums can be useful but be aware that they are also populated with people who have agendas and are not what or who they claim to be.
    Not to mention users who get found out and so sign up under another username.
    Not everything is as it seems.
  • mumsymumsy Member Posts: 5 Listener
    I just post,don’t know how to use the sight properly.I have sent all my documents to my mp with a letter.Because of my mental health I can not see him in person also the appeal if it happens,I can not sit in the room so my daughter will have to read out a letter
  • wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,314 Pioneering
    @ilovecats No I can't do that as it would then be a personal matter. I can only say that I was on this forum in 2017 when the reaction to new posters was different to now. Mostly if they needed help they were directed to the benefit advisors. Unfortunately they're not around now. Only the poster themselves, their family and anyone else involved in their care knows whether they are disabled or not. 
  • clarkjohnsonclarkjohnson Member Posts: 210 Pioneering
    Well said wildlife I no where your coming from friend us clients must not waffle or maybe the assessers will direct us elsewhere and away from the truth 
  • wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,314 Pioneering
    @clarkjohnson That made me smile. It's too late for me I've already been stung by an assessor who didn't need to direct me away from the truth she was quite capable of doing that on her own.
     @mumsy I hope you're still with us. I hope you get the help you need. Your daughter sounds amazing. Is she your appointee? 
  • DismumDismum Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Please join the website called benefitsandwork they guide you through each process. They have a lot of free advice but if you need it in more depth it’s about £20 a year. 
  • madquasimodomadquasimodo Member Posts: 130 Courageous
    I am shocked to read some of the comments in this thread, while I do agree with one point, some time back all you had to do was fill in a form, depression, anxiety, high blood pressure, diabeties, add a few more and the DWP paid out, it was wrong and I agree it needed changing, I have done the online check list and filled it in honestly first time passed full score, tried again and was really stingy and still passed.
    I have had PIP2 refused, MR no change, tribunal award full enhanced PIP and full enhanced mobility, in my opinion only because the doctor read and knew what the problem was.

    People are saying many dont read the notes or descriptors, but you can look at it from 2 viewpoints, I say I cant do something, the assessor says I can. if it was all down to people not reading and filling in the form correctly, then please tel me why are so many being overturned at appeal, it we were all just blagging it, no one would win at tribunal.

    This has a lot to do with the media, every week the Daily Mail runs a couple of pieces on some benefit fraud, its wrong and many cases had a valid reason to claim, they failed to update their claim as they got better, yes its wrong, but when it turns people against the disabled so they care little about benefits cuts, it gives the wrong view of disabled.

    As it stands you have little to no chance if as soon as you walk in the assessor takes a dislike to you, even if you pass this it can be the decision maker ignoring your paperwork, like the HP saying you had no medical and the DM saying a full medical taking place. Once you reach the end of the process Tribunals can be won or lost depending on how they feel on the day.

    i was nearly thrown out of court for pointing out some errors, I think we all probably know someone who is claiming and with the best will in the world you still have an issue with sailing through and getting full support, while they seem to enjoy life with no apparent disabliity
  • mumsymumsy Member Posts: 5 Listener
    wildlife said:
    @clarkjohnson That made me smile. It's too late for me I've already been stung by an assessor who didn't need to direct me away from the truth she was quite capable of doing that on her own.
     @mumsy I hope you're still with us. I hope you get the help you need. Your daughter sounds amazing. Is she your appointee? 

  • mumsymumsy Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Type your comment o she is very supportive and understanding 
  • WaylayWaylay Member Posts: 922 Pioneering
    The fact that 74% of in-person tribunal appeals are won by the claimant tends to indicate that many assessors and DMs are at best incompetent, at worst discriminatory.
  • clarkjohnsonclarkjohnson Member Posts: 210 Pioneering
    Exactly waylay 👍
  • cristobalcristobal Member Posts: 966 Disability Gamechanger
    @waylay - doesn't much depend on how you present the figures?

    IIRC there about 10% of claimants who appeal - 90% are satisfied with the original decision.


  • twonkertwonker Posts: 617 Member
    The DWP I heard last night are proudly stating in a satisfaction survey that close to 90% of people that have made a PIP claim tell them that they are satisfied with the process as a whole!
  • bigglesworthbigglesworth Member Posts: 21 Connected
    Can people please stop making up statistics.
  • madquasimodomadquasimodo Member Posts: 130 Courageous
    edited April 2019
    The trouble with figures they mean nothing, it how you present them that matters,
    in Oct 2018 there was 15,430 new claims for PIP of those 11,000 asked for reassessment, of those 3120 had the decision changed, average wait time 9-11 weeks to get an answer.

    If you take Jan 2019 there was 18.930 new claims for PIP of those 10.480 asked for reassessment, not entirely sure what reassessment is as I have only filled in PIP2 and if unhappy had to put MR unless that what reassessment means.
    If you go look the government does record this data
  • madquasimodomadquasimodo Member Posts: 130 Courageous
    edited April 2019
    I am not making anything up these figure above are from the government, you may not like them because they show the true facts, but carry on trying to defend a broken system, I will give you the link but you wont want that it wont fit your argument.

    Here's another one you don't like  it got a frosty response last time, branded as fake and rubbish.
  • cristobalcristobal Member Posts: 966 Disability Gamechanger

    @madquasimodo… I’m trying to make sense of the figures you’ve given…

    I wonder if they mean the following??

    In Oct 2018 there were 15430 new claims…

    There were also in Oct 2018 there were 11 000 claimants who were reassessed i.e they are existing claimants who have come to the end of their award…

    Of the re-assessments 3120 were changed - either increased or decreased as it’s not specified..

    So all the figures really tell us is how busy the assessors were in Oct 2019…..


  • madquasimodomadquasimodo Member Posts: 130 Courageous
    Sorry this may end being banned as it does not fit the agenda. the figures seem simple but I may have not shown them in a clear form.

    15,430 people claimed pip in Oct 2018,  11,000 of those asked for a reassessment (mandatory reconsideration?)
    of those 11,000,  3120 had their award changed, as you would expect the figures are vast and it takes a while to sift though, if you want I can go and see if the figures show if it was up or down. As I recall it was just stated "changed"

    I have said before, these assessment should have some legal recourse, if an assessor makes an error you should have a route to correct that and present evidence to back it up, if they downright lie you should have an avenue to get sanctions applied, same as a doctor or nurse there should be a binding legal system, if they are just wrong its not easy to correct, its harder if they just lie.

    It was quoted as 90% satisfied with the process as a whole!  the figures I quoted from the government show this is fake, no way can 90% be happy unless they just asked 100 people who just got an award and back pay. figures can be made to show almost anything you want, and as someone said stop making up statistics. Only mine are not made up they have to give these figures out, upsetting some as they try to defend a broken system, you can go look for yourself they publish government reports giving all the PIP, ESA, and Benefit statistics.
  • bigglesworthbigglesworth Member Posts: 21 Connected
    @madquasimodo my comment about made up stats was from before you posted your information.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,954

    Scope community team

    edited April 2019
    Hi @mumsy, please let us know how your MR goes. If it doesn't result in the outcome you're hoping for and you decide you want to appeal/go to tribunal, please don't hesitate to start a new thread with any questions you might have.

    [This discussion has now been closed.]
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

    Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
This discussion has been closed.