Can I get some advice? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I get some advice?

ardoynia
ardoynia Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi new on here .Can i get somw advice I have taken on the care of my grandchild..Im in receipt of senior pension .Without pension credit Not intiteled to it.Cant get child tax credits but if ive SDP i could apply for CTC.I do recieve Pip Housing benifit .which says Because your sick or disabled i get 65.85 added to my appicable amount.Would that be classed as SDP. I do recieve CB for the child Thankyou 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ardoynia welcome to the community! I am unsure however some of our community members may know and will be in contact with you soon. Let us know if we can help you further :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The SDP is paid in with pension credit so if you don't receive this then you won't be claiming the SDP. My advice is to visit your local CAB for a full benefits check. Pensioners can't claim universal credit anyway because it's a working age benefit so you should be able to claim tax credits for your grandchild.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ardoynia
    Hi thanks for reply .Its because im a pensioner not recieving Pension Credit .I cant get CTC as they have changed the rules. The only way was Severe Disability premium. But lost that when i became a pensioner. The only payment ive got is Child Benifit 
     Thankyou
  • poppy123456
    To claim the SDP when you reached state pension age then you need to claim pension credit, this is the only way you can claim it.

Why can't you claim CTC, what rules have changed?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ardoynia
    Child tax credits is no longer avaible. Only if u have certain benifits like pension credit. Im too old for Universal credit .They will pay if you get Severe disability premium .But i lost that when i wentnon Old age pension .So i only get child benifit for my grandchild .Thankyou for your question
  • poppy123456
    I'm not sure who's been giving you this advise but it's not correct. You can claim tax credits for your grandchild because you can't claim universal credit.

You really need to get some expert advice and get a full benefit check by contacting an advice agency near you.
  • ardoynia
    Thankyou Poppy  I have had advice from welfare advise. Thats why i came on here thinking they were wrong .The fact is i cant get CTC unless i have a Severe Disability premium .Which i dont have .Because my senior pension is over i think 7pds im not entitled to pension credit.So im left to provide for child on 20pds child benefit 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.