Can I claim pip for c.o.p.d — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I claim pip for c.o.p.d

Options
Claires2905
Claires2905 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi have stage 2..possibly 3..c.o.p.d I currently work but am struggling more daily..and in constant pain..can I claim pip?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Clares2905,Hello and welcome,
    PIP is a benefit that is awarded to help you cope, manage your daily living activities and is not awarded on a disability, diagnosis or amounts of medications you take. To qualify you have to have a face to face acessment having filled in a 40 page application form giving details of now your illness, disability or conditions affect you in relation to the PIP descriptors. May I sujest you do a self test to see how you would do should you apply for PIP.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Claires2905 and welcome

As Wilko says, PIP is awarded for how your condition affects your daily living and mobility. I also have COPD and currently receive standard  DL and enhanced Mobility. In some ways COPD is one of the invisible conditions which will normally require input from your GP and respiritory care team

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Claires2905
    Claires2905 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you I'll look in to it..everyday is getting harder.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I found it getting harder each day until I got my meds, nebuliser,  inhalers and home oxygen sorted. do you have a community respiritory team in your area ? If so you should get a referal to them
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • benelli
    benelli Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    thanks to people who gave comments i have COPD but am not incapacitated so i dont think ill qualify
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    benelli said:
    thanks to people who gave comments i have COPD but am not incapacitated so i dont think ill qualify
    PIP is based on a point score with points awarded for the difficulty you have carrying out specific activities. You need to be ‘incapacitated’ to qualify.
    https://www.advicenow.org.uk/know-hows/personal-independence-payment-pip-activities-and-descriptors
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @benelli :) As calcotti has said, it'd be worth taking a look at the PIP descriptors to see whether any of them apply to you. Perhaps you could take a look, and let us know what you think?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.