Permitted work — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Permitted work

swindontown Member Posts: 6 Listener
Evening all,

I currently received ESA, PIP, Severe Disablement Allowance and housing benefit.

My dad has offered to pay me £300 per month to do some work for his social media channels. Literally around a few hours a week and I get to work from home (I rarely leave house anyway) and would be paid properly and wage slip issued.

I know I would have to get the okay from ESA, but would I then have to ring up PIP and then housing? Or would it just be ESA? I don't want to accept if it's going to completely mess up my benefits.


  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    I think you need ring pip housing and esa to be sure what they’ll deduct and see if it’s worth it 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,475 Disability Gamechanger
    Dotty123 said:
    I think you need ring pip housing and esa to be sure what they’ll deduct and see if it’s worth it 
    No, you don't need to ring housing benefit or PIP because it's permitted work and it won't affect any of those.

    @swindontown You are correct, you do need to get permission before doing the work and you'll need to fill out a PW1 form. You'll be allowed to earn £125.50 per week maximum, working less than 16 hours per week.

    Do be aware though, if the work you do contradicts the reasons you're claiming PIP and ESA then you could be assessed early and it may go against you.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.