What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


I have just been told I have copd and I am struggling in work but I'm not sure what to do or what to claim if I give up my job


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    Depending on the hours you work then SSP is the first thing to look at which is payable by your employer for 28 weeks. For anything else, then you'll need to get a benefits check from an advice centre near you because claiming a means tested benefit will depend on circumstances. https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay

    PIP maybe possible but it's not awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Evidence will be needed to support a claim, which should state how your conditions affect you.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @christine55 and welcome

    As poppy says, PIP is based on how your condition affects you. COPD affects many people in different ways and if managed well does not necessarilly have a huge impact on how you live your life. Depending on what your job is there maybe reasonable adjustments that can be made to help you stay in work. Rather than look to the benefit system ( which is no fun to have to live on ) Talk to your GP and your employer to help you manage your condition. If you have a community respiritory taem in your area, ask for a referal as they can and do help with specialised knowledge
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
Sign in or join us to comment.