Medical assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Medical assessment

Ralph Member Posts: 40 Connected
My wife gets pip, standard care and high mobility and I get pip high mobility. I lost care on moving from DLA as I am not sick on enough days (epilepsy).
We had to move to UC in December and been getting, with a slight struggle UC since then. 
We both submitted fit notes in January.
On application we both stated we are medically unfit for work. 
Now we both have been asked for up to date fit notes for a medical assessment. 
Since I care for my wife, I get ica for her, should I have to undergo a medical assessment? I don’t really mind but it’s not a pleasant procedure and would rather not. 
I still have seizures 2 or three times a week and am still unfit for work. I thought that since I care for my wife I would be exempt from this.

Thank you for any advice. 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,732 Disability Gamechanger

    As you're caring for your wife you should be receiving the carers element in with your UC payment. This will mean your claimant commitment will be no work related requirements. If you're not already claiming this element then i'd advise you to put a note on your journal to ask for it to be added. The carers allowance is deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments.

    When claiming the carers element you can't claim the LCWRA element at the same time, so it's your choice which one you choose. If you decide to claim the carers element then you won't need to sent in fit notes for yourself.

    Your wife will need to send in the fit notes to claim limited capability for work and she will need to be assessed at some point in the future. A PIP claim doesn't automatically entitle you to LCW. Once a decision is made on your wifes work capability assessment if she's given LCWRA then she'll receive an extra £328 per month payable from the 4th month of the claim from when she sent in her first fit note.
  • Ralph
    Ralph Member Posts: 40 Connected
    Thanks once again Poppy for your advice. Great job. 
  • Ralph
    Ralph Member Posts: 40 Connected
    An update to this. 
    We were both sent medical questionnaires last month and we duly filled them in and sent them back. I have not heard anything until today when I have been asked to attend a face to face medical interview. 
    I would have thought since I look after my wife although I myself cannot work I would not have to attend one of these. My wife has heard nothing. 

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,732 Disability Gamechanger
    Caring for your wife doesn't mean you have limited capability for work. Most people have face to face assessments as it's rare to have paper based ones. Evidence will be needed to support your claim because they very rarely contact anyone for any evidence.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,595 Scope online community team
    Hello @Ralph, as a carer you are exempt from work search but as you've reported being medically unfit to work it's correct that they will be asking you to be assessed for this. I imagine your wife's work capability assessment is still in the works and they'll send an appointment for that soon. 
    However, it's important to note that even if you're both awarded LCWRA, only one of these can be in payment. I hope that helps but if you've any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. :)
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.