Universalcredit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universalcredit

Options
estherolivia
estherolivia Community member Posts: 3 Listener
hi am on universal credit just claimed carers allowance for my sister and they’ve backdate me 750 will that effect my universal credit payment this month as am worried sick 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Yes it will affect your UC and it will be deducted £1 for £1 so if you've been claiming UC the whole time then this will be an overpayment, minus the carers element. You need to ring UC and tell them that you're claiming Carers allowance.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • estherolivia
    estherolivia Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Will they even deduct the backdate payment? I’ve just only been awarded carers allowance I was just waiting to hear back off them before I told them incase I didn’t get it, is that fair they take all the back payment away 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Yes they will because if you've been receiving UC for the whole of the time then it means you've already received it. You can't be paid it twice. When you claimed carers allowance did you tell them that you're receiving UC?

Also when claiming UC you don't have to claim CA to claim the carers element of UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.