Universalcredit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


estherolivia Member Posts: 3 Listener
hi am on universal credit just claimed carers allowance for my sister and they’ve backdate me 750 will that effect my universal credit payment this month as am worried sick 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,273 Disability Gamechanger

    Yes it will affect your UC and it will be deducted £1 for £1 so if you've been claiming UC the whole time then this will be an overpayment, minus the carers element. You need to ring UC and tell them that you're claiming Carers allowance.
  • estherolivia
    estherolivia Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Will they even deduct the backdate payment? I’ve just only been awarded carers allowance I was just waiting to hear back off them before I told them incase I didn’t get it, is that fair they take all the back payment away 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,273 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    Yes they will because if you've been receiving UC for the whole of the time then it means you've already received it. You can't be paid it twice. When you claimed carers allowance did you tell them that you're receiving UC?

    Also when claiming UC you don't have to claim CA to claim the carers element of UC.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.