How can i be assessed for work with Universal Credit but my doctor says Im unfit to work? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

How can i be assessed for work with Universal Credit but my doctor says Im unfit to work?

mrsgibbons535 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
ok, so I’ve been off work since September 2014 after many years of being ill with 5 pulmonary embolism, 2 DVT, COPD, Osteoporosis, Angina to name a few. Universal credit want to assess me fit for work with a person I have met for 15 minutes max. But my doctor has signed me unfit for work, can anyone give me some advise. I receive PIP enhanced rate and have the mobilility car no money as my walking is hindered to less than 20m Please can someone help me x


  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @mrsgibbons535 welcome to the community. Thank you for sharing this with us. According to the Universal Credit: Health conditions and disability guide

    The Work Capability Assessment (WCA) is used to find out how much your health condition or disability affects your ability to work. It assesses what you can do, as well as what you can’t do. 

    If it is decided you have limited capability for work and work related activity (LCWRA) you are not expected to look for work or to prepare for work, though you can volunteer.

    You may be eligible for an additional amount for having LCWRA.

    I hope this helps, if you have any questions, please let us know. Best wishes.

  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,434 Disability Gamechanger
    I had the same experience I was totally housebound but was assessed as fit for work . I went through the whole process of MR which gave same outcome so went to tribunal which I won. Finally after 14 months I am now assessed as unfit for work and awarded LCWRA. If you think they made wrong decision then follow the appeal process. Good luck 
  • Vicki988
    Vicki988 Member Posts: 24 Connected
    I've been said I'm fit for work when I can barely leave the house, having to fight for this as I have no money for food or heating, all goes on bills and rent =[
  • mossycow
    mossycow Member Posts: 485 Pioneering
    Hiya Vicki, right. Sounds to me like the assessment has given the wrong outcome. 

    You and your go know yourself and abilities much more than an assessor I agree. 

    As @janer1967 has shown it is possible to appeal and have that decision overturned as mistakes are made by a crappy system. But take that as hopeful! 

    It's exhausting doing what you are doing  living with disibility  financial hardship AND fighting this decisions so do get support. 

    I'm so sorry that my brain fogged head isn't thinking well enough tk tell you where to get support.. 
    Let me think... 



    Firstly. You could ring the Scope hotline. I've used it before and it's dab. They helped me in a similar situation. 

    To be honest, start there as they can lead you to the path you need. 

    Do not give up  or feel a fraud or feel hopeless. Grab hold of all the support you can and things will move forward. 

    Life will get better xx

    Keep in touch. 

    Have you considered appealing etc? Could you call the helpline? 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.