Question regarding ESA premium — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question regarding ESA premium

Options
gbaswain
gbaswain Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello.

I have just had my decision overturned at my PIP appeal. I was awarded Standard mobility and enhanced daily living. My partner has also been awarded his carers allowance back as he is the one who cares for me. I am just wondering how this will affect my current claim with ESA. Will I be entitled to any premiums, if so.... which ones? I have been informed that if I am, they will also backdate the premium back to the starting date of my claim. 

ESA, PIP, and my partners carers is the only income we receive. We get help with housing benefit and council tax. If you have any helpful information that would be great, thanks

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gbaswain and welcome

Congrats on getting your award overturned.

The following is the criteria for any premiums, you might also seek trained help and a benefits check from an advice agency near you

Eligibility

You usually need to be eligible for the disability premium to qualify for the severe or enhanced premiums.

If you get income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) you can only get the severe or enhanced premium.

Use a benefits calculator to check your eligibility.

Disability premium

You or your partner must be under pension credit age and either registered blind or getting:

• Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
    • Working Tax Credit with a disability element
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance
    • War Pensioners Mobility Supplement
    • Severe Disablement Allowance
    • Incapacity Benefit

If you do not qualify, you may still get the premium if you’ve been unable to work for at least a year.

Severe disability premium

You must get the disability premium or income-related ESA, and one of the following qualifying benefits:

• PIP daily living component
    • AFIP
    • DLA care component at the middle or highest rate
    • Attendance Allowance (or Constant Attendance Allowance paid with Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or War Pension)

You usually cannot have anyone aged 18 or over living with you, unless they’re in one of these situations:

• they get a qualifying benefit
    • they’re registered blind
    • they’re a boarder or subtenant (but not a close relative)
    • they make separate payments to the landlord

You cannot get the severe disability premium if someone is getting Carer’s Allowance or the carers element of Universal Credit for looking after you.

If you’re in a couple

You’ll get the higher amount of severe disability premium if both you and your partner are eligible.

You can get the lower amount if:

• someone gets Carers Allowance or the carers element of Universal Credit for looking after only one of you
    • only one of you meets the eligibility criteria and the other is registered blind

Enhanced disability premium

To get this, you must be under pension credit age.

You must get the disability premium or income-related ESA, and one of the following:

• PIP daily living component at the higher (‘enhanced’) rate
    • AFIP
    • DLA care component at the highest rate

You’ll also get this if you’re in the support group for income-related ESA.

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.