Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

universal credit and carers allowance

gilgirlgilgirl Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2019 in Carer's allowance
Hi I have been claiming universal credit for over a year and have just claimed carers allowance. They said the carers allowance will be back dated 3 months as I was caring then but my friend who I look after was waiting for her pip to be sorted. Will universal credit want to take this backdated amount off me? Also will they say I should of told them when I started to look after my friend even though I wasnt getting paid then? Sorry for long post! Thanks

Replies

• Antonia_AlumniAntonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @gilgirl welcome to the community. I don't think they will take the backdated payments off you, but you can contact your local CAB to confirm or Carers UK:

You contact them using their online form  or call their telephone helpline providing information is open on Mondays and Tuesday between 10am and 4pm - 0808 808 7777

• gilgirlgilgirl Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you il do that 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,924

Scope community team

Hi @gilgirl, are you currently receiving the carer's element of Universal Credit?
    Carer's allowance is deducted pound for pound from Universal Credit, but you'll then be awarded the carer's element. As it's deducted pound for pound, it's very likely they'll also take the backdated amount too.
    Definitely update them as soon as possible and ensure the carer's element is added to your claim.

Kind regards,
    Adrian
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
Sign in or join us to comment.