Earning royalties whilst on benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Earning royalties whilst on benefits

Options
Charlie123
Charlie123 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
HI, I am really hoping someone can help as my energy is very limited and I'm in need of some advice.

Basically I am long term sick with severe fatigue issues. Over the years, and with much help, I have put together a book which I would like to self-publish. But I need to make sure I am aware of all the benefit restrictions and rules surrounding this. I am aware of the permitted work rules, but I wonder if gaining royalties is the same as actively doing work right now? 

Because, my concern is that 'if" (and I know its a big if) my book sales went over the permitted work allowance one week, would my benefits be stopped? I cannot risk losing them.

And with the fact that it is a hobby and working hours are so minuscule - maybe 30 mins a month - is there a way round this, as in could it be classed under savings instead - which would allow greater sales revenue?

I basically don't want to let being on benefits stop me publishing. I know my book is meant to be out there, but I need some specific advise how to go about it all and I would really appreciate any help from an official advisor? Or direction to one online.

I am on PIP and income related ESA. The writing is done in bed on my laptop or phone or paper. My family help me  a lot of the time, and someone else is doing the admin required to get it published - as my condition limits the energy I have to do so. So I am not working and hope this wouldn't cause any benefit concern in terms of activity. But I would hopefully earn some royalty money and I wonder if there has been a precedent set by another author, or an artist perhaps in this same position?

As I say, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am grateful for a charity which supports disabled people to move forward if whatever way they can - so Thank you.

Charlie

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.