Son found fit to work but isn't, what do I do? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son found fit to work but isn't, what do I do?

Tracey1966
Tracey1966 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
My son is know 20 he has claimed dlawhich has know changed to pip which is fine the problem we r having is we were told he could claim uc so we did he supplied fit notes til we got appt for a medical we attended then a couple of weeks later were informed he was fit to work we attended a uc meeting to be told he needs to look for work the only problem we have is he's needs r speak and language fine gross motor skills reading and writing which was originally diagnosed by his mainstream school he then attended a special needs school til he left education I was told he has to look for work for 35 hrs a week also travel 1hr 30 minutes to and from work he has had agency jobs before but always goes with friends so they can help if there's any tests we r to late to appeal was wondering what to do I'm at wits end with this as he doesn't take medication and the doctors r not much help as the school did all his assessments but know were finding it hard to prove as he no longer gets any support ftom anyone other than myself as I'm his appointee 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tracey1966 welcome to the community! Sorry to hear this, it sounds very stressful for you!

Are you able to get an appointment with another doctor for your son, to get a second opinion?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tracey1966
    Does your son have a diagnosis?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • jokar100
    jokar100 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I don’t claim to know much about it but I’d try a different doctor to get a stronger appeal for him to start with. Such a shame it’s always the people who need the help that seem not to get it good luck hope you get something sorted out for your boy 
  • Tracey1966
    Tracey1966 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    The diagnosis was from the school as they had statemented him in his first mainstream school his disability s r speak and language / fine gross motor skills /reading and writing there isn't an actual name for his condition and as school have dealt with it there was no reason to see a doctor until know so it's even harder to prove when u have no professional in your cornerwe had an appointment to day at jobcentre for a guy to do a cv I think he's a career advicer he has told us to look at volunteering or apprenticeship we have another appointment with him next wk he has told Mitchell s work coach he can't look for work til he has sorted this out 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.