Confused On UC — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Confused On UC

Tinabean16 Member Posts: 19 Listener
edited April 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
I went for my work assessment tribunal and lost.  After a meeting today with my work coach she said I should do Volunteer work or go to college.  My Dr has put my fit note  unfit for work indefinitely. When I said to her about fit note she told me that volunteering wasn’t classed as working.  This is where the confusion comes in, i was Volunteering when I had the work assessment and because I was able to work it went against me in the assessment.  


  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @Tinabean16 I am sorry to hear about the outcome of your tribunal. How are you doing today? You may want to contact your local CAB for advice and i'll tag in @BenefitsTrainingCo to hopefully shed some light on this.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi Tina
    Your work related commitments will depend on the outcome of the work capability assessment. It is only people who have a "limited capability for work related activity" who are not required to complete "work related activity" (sometimes known as work preparation) which can include voluntary work. It is usually characterised in Employment and Support Allowance as being in the Support Group and it would appear that you have not received this outcome. It may be that you failed both parts of the test (which would make you available for work) or that you passed the first part only which would make you available for work related activity. Work related activity is about getting ready for work for a point in the future when your condition has changed, but it does not include work whilst your condition is the same. You should consider challenging the decision of course as many decisions are changed on appeal but in the mean time it is likely that you will have to complete work related activity (and possible look for work) which could include voluntary work. But if you are affected by a disability the Jobcentre should make reasonable adjustments and it is worth checking this.
    Voluntary work should not be evidence of one's ability to work and if this was part of the decision maker's reasoning i would suggest you ask for a mandatory reconsideration and appeal if necessary.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Tinabean16
    Tinabean16 Member Posts: 19 Listener
    Hi Antonia Scope
    thank you for your help.
  • Tinabean16
    Tinabean16 Member Posts: 19 Listener
    Hi David
    Thank you for your help.
  • Tinabean16
    Tinabean16 Member Posts: 19 Listener
    Hi David 
    I went to see my work coach and was told that because my health had changed that it was decided that I would be referred for another WPA.  Went I went into see my work coach on  Tuesday 25th June she told me I had to phone a number and ask for a WPA .
    Is this the correct procedure as I am a bit confused.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,697 Disability Gamechanger

    I'm assuming you mean a WCA rather than a WPA? You need to ask your case manger to refer you for this. Once this is done you'll be sent a work capability assessment form.

    I see your Tribunal decision went against you because you were volunteering for work. This can happen, especially if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming for Limited capability for work.
  • Tinabean16
    Tinabean16 Member Posts: 19 Listener
    Hi Poppy
    My work coach said I have to ask for a WCA myself.  She gave me a number to phone.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,697 Disability Gamechanger
    That's not usually what happens. You don't refer yourself, your case manager refers you.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,595 Scope online community team
    Hello @Tinabean16. As Poppy mentioned you are usually referred by your case manager for a WCA. There's no harm in giving them a ring and discussing it but it isn't the usual procedure. Let us know what they say. :)
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.