Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Using Exercise to Overcome Anxiety and Bullies
- When Mariana Sfakianakis uploads a 'transformation' photo of herself to social media it has nothing to do with gaining or losing weight.
Instead, the 25-year-old from Sydney is showing a little girl who grew up in and out of hospitals, holding crutches and relying on wheelchairs who has blossomed into a strong and fiercely independent woman.
'My transformation wasn't about losing weight, gaining weight, preparing for a bodybuilding competition.'
Mariana, who was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at birth, is set to appear on stage at an amateur bodybuilding competition in less than two months time, which for a girl who endured physical torments from bullies over her physical appearance is a dream she has had for a long time.
'Exercise helps me with cerebral palsy more so mentally than physically. It has gotten me through some pretty rough days as I use the gym and exercise as my getaway and happy place,'
To read the full story:
Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead
Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
- 55.2K All Categories
- 10.8K Start here and say hello!
- 5.3K Coffee lounge
- 4.1K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.6K Research and opportunities
- 160 Community updates
- 12.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 837 Work and employment
- 600 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1.1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 302 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 268 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 22.3K Talk about money
- 2.3K Benefits and financial support
- 4.5K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.8K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.4K Cerebral palsy
- 704 Chronic pain and pain management
- 718 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 773 Autism and neurodiversity
- 952 Mental health and wellbeing
- 314 Sensory impairments