Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Road tax

Kitten6810Kitten6810 Member Posts: 1 Listener
hi everyone am new to this group does anyone no about what car tax discounts you can get if your claiming pip and esa please


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,085 Disability Gamechanger
    As far as I know if you get higher rate mobility pip your tax is free I got instructions on how to claim free tax with my pip award letter. Hope this helps 
  • Ami2301Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,736 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kitten6810 welcome to the community! 

    Free tax disc (Vehicle Excise Duty)

    Some disabled people can get Exemption of VED for one car. You, or someone you nominate, may have a free ‘tax disc' if you get:

    • high rate DLA mobility component
    • enhanced rate PIP mobility component
    • armed forces independence payment
    • war pensioners supplement

    If you get the standard rate mobility component of PIP, you may be entitled to 50% off your VED. When you are awarded your qualifying benefit, you should be sent a re-usable Certificate of Entitlement. You'll need this each time you renew your VED. Even if you have a certificate, the DVLA can refuse to grant an exemption if they think the vehicle will not be used solely by or for the purposes of the disabled person.

    Hope this helps - let us know if you have any further questions :)

    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
Sign in or join us to comment.