Autism and Aspergers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Effective therapy and treatment

1968198919681989 Member Posts: 41 Connected
edited April 2019 in Autism and Aspergers
Hi 
I wonder if you could advise me .My adult son has fragile X syndrome plus autism and learning difficulties.
He sufferes with chronic  anxiety and low moods. He is currently taking quietapine 25mg.
He is having twice monthly session with the learning disabilities community team , a physcotherapy assistant .
Although the assistant has no experience working with LD.But has worked with children.
I'm at a review next week and I'm unsure what too ask for or whether this is acceptable treatment plan 

Regards

Replies

• Ami2301Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,450 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @19681989 welcome to the community! You want what is best for your son, it important that you discuss your concerns at the review :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • 1968198919681989 Member Posts: 41 Connected
    Thanks yes I will.
  • Antonia_AlumniAntonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @19681989 :)
    Like @Ami2301 suggested please let them know your concerns. I'll tag in @SparkleSheffieldAutismAdvisors to see if they have any suggestions.
    Thanks very much 
  • SparkleSheffieldAutismAdvisorsSparkleSheffieldAutismAdvisors Member Posts: 32 Pioneering
    Hi @19681989!

Our advice would be, at the review make sure you have a clear written list of things that you'd like to ask. Lists are great! That way you won't forget to ask anything in the meeting. And feel free to make notes while people are talking to you, you can always ask more questions later on! 

A few things you might want to consider asking could be;

What are the long term goals for your son on this treatment plan? For example; what are the expected goals in 1 or 2 years time? And then what are the short terms goals? So what steps are being taken to make sure your son reaches his goals on this plan? 

Do you have any concerns about his care so far? Note these down and bring them up at his review.

Is there anything happening so far that you have any questions about, or would like more information on?

Don't forget, your the expert in your son, feel free to ask as many questions as you need to to make sure you know what's going on is the best for your son.

Hope this helps, any other questions, feel free to ask!
    Hi thank you very much appreciated.
    Just another question.....
    My son lives with me full time and doesn't have other carers at the moment.
    We have tried a few and doesn't work out .
    He goes to a day service a couple afternoon a week that's all.never had respite.

Do other people experience this.

Sign in or join us to comment.