Hoist out of order — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hoist out of order

Twinkle3217
Twinkle3217 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I recently went with a friend to a private gym /fitness club to use the pool. A very well-known national company with branches all over the country.
My friend has been a member there for a while and had checked out the facilities for me beforehand. She confirmed that there were very good accessible changing facilities and a hoist available.  On arrival we were told that the hoist was out of order and they had been told that it was unlikely to be repaired as only 2 or 3 people use it and it was too expensive to maintain.  This was DW Fitness at Thorpe Bay. I will be writing to them and asking them to repair it and let me know when it has been done.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2019
    Hi @Twinkle3217 welcome to the community! Sorry to hear this, keep us updated on the progress on this. Let us know if we can help in any way :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Twinkle3217
    Thanks Ami, I will do. I have only just found this site.  It is very interesting, I will look again.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Twinkle3217
    Im sorry to hear this, I had a look and found this:

Equality law applies to any business that provides goods, facilities or services to members of the public.

This includes sport and leisure related services, such as:

• leisure centres
    • swimming pools
    • tennis clubs and tennis courts
    • golf clubs
    • rugby, cricket and football clubs
    • ice rinks
    • riding schools and equestrian centres
    • gyms
    • health and fitness clubs
    • rowing and sailing clubs
    • adventure centres
    • sporting venues.

It doesn't matter whether the service is free, for example, free swimming sessions in a swimming pool run on behalf of a local authority, or whether it must be paid for - it will still be covered by equality law.

So it may be worth speaking to a legal professional. you can find support on the Law Centre website.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Twinkle3217
    Ah Sam, thanks very much for this. I didn't think they could get away with this, I have now written a polite letter them and asked to reply. I said that I was considering becoming a member but with no hoist, no can do.  I will let you know what they say. Thanks again.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.