Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

How to swap the council flat based on medical grounds

izaiza Member Posts: 471 Pioneering
Hi, I am just looking up for more information how to swap the council flat (second floor) to (ground floor) based on medical grounds. (I do have two medical conditions). 
One of them cause chronic back  pains and my body is getting a bit weaker  now than before.
I do get more back pains after  for example pulling up to the second floor the shopping trolley or carry anything heavier.
What updated documents  should  I have and where to start from just in case  I will make my mind. 

Please advice. Thanks


  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    I'd give your housing a call and see if they can advise you. When I wanted my band changing I had to contact the lettings part of the council, they then sent a form out which I got help with and I had to get supporting letters from my GP, support worker and housing patch manager, I then had an assessment and was put into medical housing band 3 which doesn't sound very high but it was fine, I only waited around 2 - 3 months for a suitable property. The process took me about a year from start to finish which isn't that bad really.

  • izaiza Member Posts: 471 Pioneering
    @WF2k  thank you for your replay. I may have to think about  it as an option. I really like my current place and feel home here but I may have to consider another solution for my life to avoid pains and protect my back. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    edited April 2019
    I know what you mean, I liked my last home but it had stairs and I needed something on the same level, plus the people above us were very noisy and weren't helping my health at all.
  • izaiza Member Posts: 471 Pioneering
    Have you been relocated within the same borough of your town, city? 
Sign in or join us to comment.