Backdated ESA payments - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backdated ESA payments

124»

Comments

• danhabt86
    danhabt86 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Not so good 
    I been trying to sort my brothers esa payments
    he is been on the wrong one the past 7 years and I want to backdate the £16 a week he been missing
    i got this morning and declining the decision 
    whats the best way to get around this ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    danhabt86 said:
    Not so good 
    I been trying to sort my brothers esa payments
    he is been on the wrong one the past 7 years and I want to backdate the £16 a week he been missing
    i got this morning and declining the decision 
    whats the best way to get around this ?
    Whether he's entitled to the backdated money will totally depend on his circumstances between the dates stated in the letter that was received. Some have been entitled to backdated money and some haven't. It's impossible to give you any answers on an internet forum. There's no point taking this any further if he's not entitled to any backdated money.

Before he does anything else he needs to take all of his paper work to a local advice centre near him and they will tell him for sure whether or not he's owed any money.

To add to that information, may i ask when he first transferred to ESA was in the work related activity group and was then recently moved to the support group? I see in an above comment you state that he's been recently changes to income support related... do you mean he was recently move to the support group?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • danhabt86
    danhabt86 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks for reply
    well he have been on the contribution based since 2010
    and just recently changed to income related

• poppy123456
    danhabt86 said:
    Thanks for reply
    well he have been on the contribution based since 2010
    and just recently changed to income related

I'm afraid it's impossible to give you any further help with such little information. He needs to speak to an advice agency near him for face to face advice and he will need to take all his paper work with him. Not everyone is entitled to any backdated money, it will depend on circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Haylou27
    Haylou27 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hello everyone... I wondered if anyone could advise me. I've been in a work related group esa for a couple of years, for just over a year I've been waiting on a health assessment to see about getting moved to support group esa, I had to cancel the first 2 times but finally had it in Dec 2019, will my payment be backdated to Dec 2019 or will they be backdated further as I should have been in a support group ages ago, will it get backdated to the date the dwp originally asked for the health assessment or just to the actual date the health assessment took place? Thanks in advance 
  • poppy123456
    Haylou27 said:
    Hello everyone... I wondered if anyone could advise me. I've been in a work related group esa for a couple of years, for just over a year I've been waiting on a health assessment to see about getting moved to support group esa, I had to cancel the first 2 times but finally had it in Dec 2019, will my payment be backdated to Dec 2019 or will they be backdated further as I should have been in a support group ages ago, will it get backdated to the date the dwp originally asked for the health assessment or just to the actual date the health assessment took place? Thanks in advance 

Hi you're question has been answered here on your other thread https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/67540/esa-change-to-support-group-from-work-related-group#latest

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi. I just found out my son is in the wrong ESA benefit  he has been since he was changed over some tears ago. I got a letter and responded completing a from and hear nothing to presumed he was on correct benefit. Recently I was looking at why he didnt get free dental care and saw there was a severe disability payment payment available on ESA . I enquired about this as he is severely disabled. I was told he cant claim for this on his type of ESA. I questioned why he was on that esa then as he is clearly severely disabled being totally blind, autistic, learning  disability, tube fed etc etc  they are sending out forms to claim the correct ESA now  will he be entitled to back pay for the severe premium and how far can that be backdated for? He has lived in supported living for the last 8 years so is classed as loving alone. Nobody has claimed carers allowance for him for about 16 years. He does get pip higher rate and mobility high rate allowance. Thank you. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @janv and welcome to the community. When people were moved from incapacity benefit to ESA many weren't assessed for the income-related top up so premiums such as SDP weren't applied when they should have been. 

If it was their mistake then it can be backdated for the entire period he should have been paid it for. 

Best of luck with the claim for it and if you have any questions or we can help at all please let us know. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.