Housing/accomodation — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


roocaton Member Posts: 3 Listener
My sister is 38, has Cerebal Palsy and has lived with her Mum all her life in the Windsor/Maidenhead area. Until recently she has worked part time but a series of operations and a mental health episode has meant that she has been unable to do so and her SSP runs out next month

Recently Mum had a Stroke which my Sister witnessed and is widely thought to have contributed to her Mental Health collapse. Since then my Sister has expressed a desire to live independently and we are all very supportive of this but do not know where to start!

She has a fair bit of money saved and we all think she would benefit from living with other people with similar circumstances, but she would not be able to keep up a mortgage/rent for any length of time as it is likely that she won’t be able work for the foreseeable future.  However I don’t think she would be able to claim Housing Benefit because of her savings

Any help/advice gratefully received 


  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,115

    Scope community team

    Hi @roocaton
    Welcome to the community. Here is a link to applying for housing in the Windsor and Maidenhead area
    I will also include a Benefits Calculator so you can check that your sister is receiving everything she is entitled to. If I can help further please let me know.
    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @roocaton welcome to the community, how are you doing today?
    I hope your sister and mum are doing well?

    Please keep us updated and if you have any questions, please let us know.
  • roocaton
    roocaton Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you very much. It is all a bit overwhelming!

    The Stroke Association have offered to help with the benefits side which is a relief- once these are sorted at least I’ll know what resources we have

    I should add that I live some distance away which makes things doubly difficult 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,545 Disability Gamechanger

    It's no longer possible to claim housing benefit because all areas are now a full universal credit area. Savings/capital of £16,000 will prevent her from claiming this until her savings drop below this level. Once the drop below this she will be able to claim UC but her savings will reduce the amount she can claim.
  • roocaton
    roocaton Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Many thanks, I think she is going to struggle to get anything and that this may well set off another mental health episode.

    As she is a relative of a Stroke victim the Stroke Association have offered to assist and I am hoping that their expertise will help.
  • Scot
    Scot Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi there. Look under MySafeHome if you receive ESA in the support group AND high rate PIP? They were helping me with purchasing a home (I live in Kent) but you must be in the above 2 categories to qualify. You can get a mortgage if on these 2 benefits, like a shared ownership and rent part paid from your benefits. Any good?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.